Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 SEL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been here in a while, because i don't drive my car very much (2800 miles ONLY) in 2004. I know this is not good for the car, but I'm slowly loosing interest. Here's the problem that i had tonight when i went to start it after couple of weeks. The RPM's went to almost 3500 and stayed there. I stepped on the gas peddal couple of times, but didn't help. I finally put it in gear and drove around for a while. Everything was fine until i turned OFF the car and then restarted it again. Same thing RPM's way way up. Could it be a vaccum leak? Need your help. Thank you ahead of time[:(][:(!][?][?]

·
Registered
1987 420 SEL
2,090 Posts
Is there a reason that you're not driving your car? 2400 miles is nothing in mileage especially for the entire year. What's that roughly 50 miles a week? I would drive it a little more and blow it out on 95. And then see how she runs.

Imagine if you sat for an entire year. Your body would probably react weird too.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
High idle, it’s our most popular problem:

The Idle Control Valve can fail or become dirty (sticking). A long soak (24 hours) in brake or carb cleaner may solve the problem. Otherwise the valve will have to be replaced.

When the idle control valve is ruled out move on to the following:

Idle Control Unit – located under the dash either in the middle or near the steering wheel shaft (the location is different in each model, but all are inside under the dash) – is an electronic relay which is replaced (resoldering is also possible).

Throttle Position Switch – replace, worn or broken terminals.

OVP Relay – located on the second firewall near the fuse box.

Worn Injectors or Leaking Injectors.

Broken/brittle/missing/disconnected vacuum hose(s).

·
Registered
88,560 SEC & SEL Euros, 06 S-500, 06 SRT8 Magnum
246 Posts
First, I would suggest you unplug the OVP relay take it in the house and warm it up, check the 10 amp fuse on top, check to see if the canaster has ever had a past soder repair you can tell if the cover has pinch marks. I have one that was cold sodered, when the outside tempeture gets near zero the OVP acts up, brought it into the house warmed it under a heat lamp pluged it back in and the idle droped back to 750. I expect to replace with a new one this spring.
During high idle was your abs dash warning light on, this is another indication its the OVP a new one varies in price from $50.00 - $70.00
Search the forum on OVP I believe it explains the high idle problem as related to it.
Please post the outcome.

Gary

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
@ 3500 RPM I would suspect the vacuum leak from god.. Idle control units when mal fucntioning bring the car up to 1500RPM. Just a bit of info, but at these cars get older they HAte to sit, resulting in issues such as you are experiencing now. Check the linkage, make sure nothing is sticking.

Jonathan

·
Registered
420 SEL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea i think is was the OVP. Took it out and put it back in and the car started just fine. Turned the car OFF. Tryed to start again to see if it acts up again. It didn't because the F***ing car never started at all. I changed the started with a rebuilt one about 8 months ago and it looks like this one is bad. I've noticed in the past that when the cars sits for a while all sorts of problems (minor) will come up. I guess you guys are probably going to see it on eBay soon. The car is great if somebody drives it. I replaced the chain and guides, new Ac unit, New motor mounts, new belts around $4000 about 6000 miles or 2.5 yrs ago. I've close to 20,000 invested in this car any ideas what i should ask for it? It's got the full AMG body kit 18" chrome wheels, couple of grand in stereo/video equipment, interior if preatty decent give me an idea what i should ask. Florida car [?][?][?]

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
You can't sell your car, it is my inspiration!!! It is one of if not THE hottest w126 sedan I have ever seen!!! And it is basically the same color as my car, motivates me not to get the car resprayed black or something like that!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts