Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280GE, 300GE, 300D
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can someone tell me where I could buy an off road or heavy duty clutch kit for a 280GE (1985) fitted with a five speed manual transmission. Please let me know if you have any info.

Thank you....

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
More info please

The factory parts are designed for heavy duty off road use. Is there something about the factory setup that's not working out for you and you'd like to improve upon? Or are you just looking for after-market parts?

-Dave G.

·
Registered
280GE, 300GE, 300D
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Firs let me say thanks for replying to my post. I just want to find something that is even stronger than the stock equipment from MB, for a friend. That is his wish and I would like to know if there is such a thing out there.

Thank you

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
I don't know about "off the shaelf". It doesn't seem to me there's much at all available in that regard for G's. But a clutch is a clutch. If you have a decent clutch rebuilder around, the can usually rebuild a pressure plate and driven plate to your specs, within reason. The G's pressure plate is a normal diaphragm spring type, and nothing special about the driven plate either. Unless someone pipes up with an unusual source of hi-perf clutch parts for the G, you'll probably have to work with a clutch shop to customize it.

I'm about to take some clutch parts by my local guy and ask him if the plates from a 300GD are up to the extra torque of a 300 turbo diesel. I can let you know what he says with regard to ability to modify the G parts if you like. Probably be end of the week, and this place is in Denver, CO. They're top of the line for drive line service, but I don't know if ordering from the states is in your plans.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

·
Registered
1984 280GE Cabrio
255 Posts
I have not contacted this company. I like the variety. I wonder if they sell a pressure plate?
If someone contacts them please let every one know the results.[:)]
http://www.clutchnet.com/make/mercedes.html#280

·
Registered
280GE, 300GE, 300D
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Thank you again. Well if a high performace clutch kit is available I know my friend will be willing to buy it where ever it is.

Best Regards
Reynold Delatour

·
Registered
1989 300GD SWB
84 Posts
Ask 4x4rancher, he has put a extra-heavy duty clutch in his AMG 280.
That's all I know

regards

Richard

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
As Kashi says, I have high performance, "heavy duty driven or friction plates made to order, they are of a material known in motor sport as "Sintered" which is a mixture of ceramic and carbon and is a segemented driven plate, 3 or 5 paddles, I can also obtain thrust bearings in ceramic coating if required
Cost is approx €400.00 dependant on exchange rate, the uptake is harsher than standard but the resistance to slip and heat is awsome, lead time is about 6 weeks.
I am currently examining the possibility of a multi plate clutch in a custom flywheel.

·
Registered
265 Posts
rey445588 - 3/16/2005 10:09 PM
Hi,
Can someone tell me where I could buy an off road or heavy duty clutch kit for a 280GE (1985) fitted with a five speed manual transmission. Please let me know if you have any info.
Thank you....
Clutches die an early death of two reasons:
The clutch can not provide the grip to transfer engin torque into the gearbox. In that case a stronger clutch is needed. However a stock clutch will hold the torque from a stock engine.

The slipping of the clutch when taking off, heats the clutch disk and wears it down. This heat alone can cause the clutch to loose grip eaven though it works well when cold. If driver lets the clutch slipp for long time at high throttle and revs, the clutch dies an early death. A clutch that works better at high temp can better tollerate that kind of misuse.

It seams that your friend needs a lower gear for his driving and/or a driving lesson, -to save his clutch from the "heavy duty".

The clutch is an on/off equipment and if the driving (driver) requires using it any other way under high engine output, you can not expect any clutch to last for long.

If the 280GE has the 5 speed Getrag gearbox it is likely that a lower gear is needed as the 1st gear of that gearbox is stupidly high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts