Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL320, 1998 230SLK Kompressor, 2005 C230 Kompressor Coupe, 1995 C220 Sedan, 1995 BMW 325i Conve
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing 70 on freeway in 1997 SL320 when all of a sudden I thought I blew a tire. Pulled over and then when I started to drive once I hit 10mph I started hearing it again, the faster I go the worse it is. It is coming from right under the shifter and does it even in neutral. Was able to drive it home going slowly. It still drives fine but this clicking-vibrating sound like something is going to snap off. It increases in direct proportion to speed.

Any ideas as to what this could be?

Sounds like it may be something with the driveshaft but if it was would the car still drive?

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
Be VERY AFRAID.:eek:

Ok, maybe not that much afraid, but still cautious at least! There is a "flex disc" on the end of your transmission attached to the drive shaft. Mercedes is the only one who things that works better than a standard universal joint. They deteriorate over time and if you don't catch them, you are at risk for a catastrophic failure!!! I mean lots of damage! Especially if you are at speed. My indy caught mine just miles before failure. I drove it there at freeways speeds. He had to order the part and refused to allow me to come back later for the repair. He basically impounded my car for my own good. I wish I would have kept the thing. It would have gone up on my garage wall as part of the "Wall of Shame" collection!

If you can get under your car, take a look before driving it at any speed again. If you see damage to the disc, have it towed. If can not get under it, I would have it towed anyway just to be safe.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
It's not the drive-shaft if it's doing it in nuetral...

Might be the tranny itself.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
1,977 Posts
The driveshaft is connected to the differential. If the wheels are turning (even if the tranny is in neutral) the driveshaft is turning.

Check the flex disc.

Also check to make sure you didn't pick up some road trash that has wedged itself somehow under the chassis and is still dragging.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
I must have misunderstood, when he said he put it in neutral, I thought the car was stopped. If it was still rolling, then yes, you're right.

OP: Does the symptom show up in neutral with the car stopped, or rolling, or both?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
Just to brake the monotony, maybe the gear shift bushings?
Regards.
aam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts