Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
560SEC 1990 Starts cold, restarts hot immediately after shutdown very hard to start after heatsinks. problem started after icm was replaced to cure a shutoff problem while running. other new parts include both fuel pumps, fuel filter, pressure regulator, fuel distributor, air flow meter, thermotime switch, temp coolant sensor. Any wise men out there???? Many Thanks!

·
W123 Moderator
797 Posts
Injectors?

Are your injectors leaking?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
injectors were just flushed one replaced balance fine, no vacuum leaks and no start issue before the icm was replaced. bizarre!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I didn't. What is the purpose of the thermal paste and how would it impact the operation of the thermo time valve. Thanks much!

·
Banned
14,116 Posts
Regards the ICM, it is cooled by the body of the vehicle where it is mounted and the heat conduction is enhanced by the paste. When they are allowed to overheat they start misbehaving then eventually burn up and fail.

Paste it sir.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes m'lord, right away. however since the icm is new and the balmy temps in ct are hovering around 29 today this is likely not the cause of my start problem at the moment, would you agree? I am leaning toward an intermittent grounding problem due to the age of the loom and possibly a renegade german car who wants to be british

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
........and possibly a renegade German car who wants to be British
I hate it when that happens!.
I think the fix I posted should help you until you can replace the Time valve.

Yes put the paste(radio Shack or Electronics store) under the ICM as it needs the heat sink even in winter. They get really hot!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a noble thought but the time valve has already been replaced twice, the second time to insure the first valve wasn't bad. the start problem did not exist before the icm was replaced but i am told the icm has nothing to do with the start circuit. Dead end unless the wiring is bad and the ground is not happening on the time valve. But it starts cold pretty well, not as good as before the icm but ok. that's why i am thinking the car defected to britain. u guys have any more logical thoughts, they r welcomed!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fuel pressure accumulator switched out and still no cure.......any ideas of what to replace next??? parts guy has had a very good xmas this year!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts