Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the following with WIS 2008, how do I fix it?

9020 Component M13 (Heating water circulation pump) has Short circuit or open circuit
or Excess temperature. ( If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no
malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check. )

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
Is that actually from DAS? I would check that the pump works, if it does, then it is likely a ghost code and can be ignored. How much do you actually need the pump, perhaps at winter in Suffolk area?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that actually from DAS? I would check that the pump works, if it does, then it is likely a ghost code and can be ignored. How much do you actually need the pump, perhaps at winter in Suffolk area?
It had been at Tayside, Scotland area for a year before I brought it to Suffolk recently. We didn't really know how to use the ventilation system until recently because I left the car for my wife to use. Once you press the auto the a/c comes on full blast, I didn't know you can use the auto and you can switch off the a/c to save fuel. We have been using the fan about number 3 or 4 position instead of auto.

Today I topup the coolant to the neck level and see whether the problem manifested again.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Do you mean you have some heating issues (not enough heat) or is it just the fault codes that bother you?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you mean you have some heating issues (not enough heat) or is it just the fault codes that bother you?
It the fault code that bothered me or should I just ignore it.

The ventilation seemed OK. I erased it a number of times, the fault code came back again or the coolant not up to the top mark.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
It the fault code that bothered me or should I just ignore it.

The ventilation seemed OK. I erased it a number of times, the fault code came back again or the coolant not up to the top mark.
I would remove the circulation pump and try if it works. Easier if it is detached from the car. Perhaps it is broken.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Is the circulation pump near the radiator next to the SBC pump? I remember seeing in WIS.

There are heat though.
Yes, that is the M13 pump. Water circulates through the heater core even if the pump does not work, as long as the engine is running and you still get heat. Perhaps a bit less but not much.

The pump is needed for REST function mainly, and if the car has a stationary heater.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that is the M13 pump. Water circulates through the heater core even if the pump does not work, as long as the engine is running and you still get heat. Perhaps a bit less but not much.

The pump is needed for REST function mainly, and if the car has a stationary heater.
Do I need to drain the coolant to remove the M13 pump?

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Do I need to drain the coolant to remove the M13 pump?
Not sure, have you looked at WIS? Usually it is sufficient to use clamps to close hoses.

But should you actually test the pump with the REST feature first? If it pumps water fine when the engine is off, providing good heat and keeping hoses hot, then the pump should be working.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure, have you looked at WIS? Usually it is sufficient to use clamps to close hoses.

But should you actually test the pump with the REST feature first? If it pumps water fine when the engine is off, providing good heat and keeping hoses hot, then the pump should be working.
I have seen the REST works before but not recently and when I press the REST switch, it does not come on. I will investigate further maybe I didn't put the temp high enough.

When the REST light does not comes on, does it confirm the circulation pump M13 is dead? I will check the wiring.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
9020 Component M13 (Heating water circulation pump) has Short circuit or open circuit
or Excess temperature.

Can I assumed the M13 circulation pump is OK as it short circuit or open circuit then either

1. the coolant may be low or
2. there may be a valve problem

Who an expert in DAS and WIS?

Can't I search error code 9020 to guide me what steps to rectify the problem. I still find WIS very difficult to use.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

When I press the REST, the light does not come on, maybe the weather is too warm.

My worry is does it cause long term damage? I better fix it while the weather is so nice right now rather than in the winter.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Update:

When I press the REST, the light does not come on, maybe the weather is too warm.

My worry is does it cause long term damage? I better fix it while the weather is so nice right now rather than in the winter.
I doubt this would cause additional damage, likely the system detects an issue with the pump (or wiring) and switches itself off.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still haven't fix the problem with 9020. I used DAS to turn on the heater circulation pump and it seemed to work on and off.

I believe the problem started to crop up after I disconnected the Traffic Master TMC because it consuming too much battery power.

I put back the two connectors to the TMC module and wait to have a run to see whether this problem manifests and store it in memory.

Anyone share this experience?

The wiper motor stuck problem seemed to have gone away after I greased the moving parts so is the rear passenger left side window controller problem.

While playing around with the DAS on the passenger side CAN, I accidently activated the "Initial startup", is this configuring and programming the passenger side CAN? But didn't include the window blind and heater seats. Is this OK?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I reread the Owner manual again. It says:

Make sure that thermatic is set to auto mode

switch off the ignition

press the REST switch

The indicator lamp turn on

Is this what I am expecting?

I remember seeing the indicator lamp turn on even with the ignition is turn on. I am confused.:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts