Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 ml350 2001 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car-98 sl500, has heated seats. Only the passenger side workd though. I have checked the voltage and done everything there is to do basically, and have come to the conclusion that the heating elements in both the back and the bottom cushions are out. They don't appear that complicated to replace, I have already had both cushions out of the car. Problem is, does anyone know where I can purchase new heating pads from. I tried my indy and he said that he couldn't get them for 97+. I didn't realize that they ever changed the design. Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2005 ml350 2001 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, your wife must be cold natured if she's making you replace the seat heating in Tupelo!
Hey, it was almost below freezing here this morning when I went to work. My wife's usually on the passenger side so shes not complaining. I'm just picky about these things

·
Registered
2005 ml350 2001 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Switch lights up. Electricity getting to the seat, checked pad for continuity and its got an open circuit. It's just I thought you could buy just the heating element. Some have said though that you have to replace the entire seat cushion, which is definitely not an option because the leather is in great condition.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,106 Posts
I recall somebody here just replaced his heating pad no long ago, do a search.

·
Registered
2005 ml350 2001 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recall somebody here just replaced his heating pad no long ago, do a search.
I thought so too but after a search of every combination of words I could think of. They're weren't that many postings about the subject and the newest posting I could find was from last year. People talked about replacing them and how to do it but none of the posts ever said where they got the replacement parts from. I checked autohausaz with no luck. Can anyone out there think of some more good mercedes parts suppliers that might have them? Thanks.

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
488 Posts
I read something on this topic once, but it might have been on mbworld.org.

I recall that the recommendation was that if you have determined that power is getting to the heat pads, then it is likely the pads themselves that have failed. The recommendation was to fit some generic aftermarket pads to save money. You have to take the seats apart.

I googled "aftermarket heated seats" and found HeaterSeats.com - The Future is Warm I'm sure there are others

·
Registered
2005 ml350 2001 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright guys, found them after spending a while on the internet. genuinemercedesparts.com had them. Only $90. Not too bad considering circunstances. Each seat has two of them though. One for the bottom and one for the back. So I ordered two. So if anyone has disfunctional heated seats and needs new elements they're the place to go. Thanks for you help and input guys.

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
488 Posts
That's good to know. I thought I read that the original pads were sewn right into the seat cover material, which is why someone had recommended buying aftermarket and placing them under the cover, instead of replacing the whole leather cover.

I'd be interested in seeing a follow-up post on how the pad replacement job goes, how long it takes, etc.

My driver's side is out also, and it would be a good project to do while my car stays in the garage for the winter. The heated seat would help extend the top-down driving season.

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
One thing I found out while I was trying to take the seat cushion apart : a stick-on label that felt off with PN 129 910 2550 and also Johnson Control printed on it. I looked it up in the Russian parts site and it is for the seat heating pad. So if your seat heater ever goes out, Johnson Control would be a alternate source. It is actually the OEM source as there is also a date printed on it that is 2 months before my car's ship date.

·
Registered
1995 SL500,triple black ,also have owned since sold,1984 380SEL, 1977 280S
103 Posts
if there like all the other makes and models...there a pain to replace...you have to remove all the uphostery/leather, tear the whole seat apart "completely" etc..i havnt done a MB...but i have replaced many Toyota's and Chrysler's for recalls...the main thing to remember...take your time...mess up the pads (easy to break elements)...and you'll be doing it again...lol...but unlike me..if you do it for yourself....you wont have a boss breathing down your neck...looking over your shoulder,telling you to hurry up...lol

·
Registered
1995 sl 500
107 Posts
Alright guys, found them after spending a while on the internet. genuinemercedesparts.com had them. Only $90. Not too bad considering circunstances. Each seat has two of them though. One for the bottom and one for the back. So I ordered two. So if anyone has disfunctional heated seats and needs new elements they're the place to go. Thanks for you help and input guys.
Can you give the part number for the heating elements? I tried to find it at genuinemercedesparts.com but could not. I have a 1995 sl500 but i imagine the heating elements are likely the same.
thank you in advance.

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
Can you give the part number for the heating elements? I tried to find it at genuinemercedesparts.com but could not. I have a 1995 sl500 but i imagine the heating elements are likely the same.
thank you in advance.
See post #12

·
Registered
85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
1,600 Posts
Go to body electrical,then to heated seats and then to heater $97.60

·
Registered
85 300SL Euro,97 SL320,95 S420,07 S550
1,600 Posts
One thing I found out while I was trying to take the seat cushion apart : a stick-on label that felt off with PN 129 910 2550 and also Johnson Control printed on it. I looked it up in the Russian parts site and it is for the seat heating pad. So if your seat heater ever goes out, Johnson Control would be a alternate source. It is actually the OEM source as there is also a date printed on it that is 2 months before my car's ship date.

That is for the model 1999-2002 the price is $212.00

·
Registered
11,106 Posts
The # was off my '98, don't know the price as I have not replaced mine.

·
Registered
2005 ml350 2001 e55 amg
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The part that I received wasn't the same that was on the car. My car had the heating element made right into the pad. If you replaced the pad this would run right aroud $300.00 a pad. The part that I received was basically a piece of cloth. The plug on the cloth was the same as the plug on the cushion though. All you have to do is undo the seat cover from the frame, you can't take it off though because it is sewn to the pad. There is a way to fix this though. The seat cover is not sewn to the pad at the back of the cushion. All you have to do is slide the piece of cloth in between the cushion and the seat cover from the back of the cushion. Then plug it into the same plug that the pad was plugged into. It works just as it did before. If you have any questions just let me know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts