Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SLK 200 Komp 2001 and the heater/ blowers constantly keep going, even when the key is out of the ignition. I have had to take the fuse (number 36) out to stop the battery running flat, also the controls do not work in terms of adjusting air speed/ temperature.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

If so I would be grateful to hear of any suggestions as to what it could be and how to overcome it.

Looking forward to some suggestions :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320
124 Posts
There is a button that will circulate the air for ~30 minutes after you have turned the car off. The intent is to keep the car warm for you while you shop (or whatever else that you may be doing). My button has the letters "REST". This is a good first (and easy) place to start checking. The button also has a picture that looks like it is for "recirculating" air from the cabin.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
mja1979 - hopefully that's the cheapest fix you'll ever get!!! - ours don't come with that option.

Oberoi

·
Registered
'01 S500V(sold), '98 SLK230K (sold)
208 Posts
mja1979 said:
I have a SLK 200 Komp 2001 and the heater/ blowers constantly keep going, even when the key is out of the ignition. I have had to take the fuse (number 36) out to stop the battery running flat, also the controls do not work in terms of adjusting air speed/ temperature.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

If so I would be grateful to hear of any suggestions as to what it could be and how to overcome it.

Looking forward to some suggestions :confused: :confused:
This has happened to me before but not as a result of the residual engine heat function (as my car is a 98 without that feature).

I can't remember how I fixed it but it was a relay that kept firing. I unhooked all the fuses that control the A/C and unplugged the relay that was making all the noise and when I plugged it all back in it was fine.

In my case, not only would the heater not turn off, but it was stuck in one certain fan position even when the car was on. And it would not respond to any temperature adjustment either.

Try the fuses.

·
Registered
E46 M3 Cab, MKV GTI, NCP91 Yaris
649 Posts
I had this happen on my SLK 320 as well. The dealer replaced under warranty the relay, replaced the battery (fan drained the battery and they gave me a new one), and a new fan motor.

·
Registered
2001 SLK230
2 Posts
Heater fan relay location

I've a 2001 and my heater fan motor stays on even with the keys out. Where is this heater fan relay located?

·
Registered
'01 S500V(sold), '98 SLK230K (sold)
208 Posts
figueim said:
I've a 2001 and my heater fan motor stays on even with the keys out. Where is this heater fan relay located?
the fuses I pulled were all under the hood in the fusebox on the driver's side by the firewall. As for the relay that was making all the noises I heard, it was by the battery area, had a 3 pin connector and it just kept clicking continuously.. I touched it to see if it was the source of the noise. You may not want to feel around with your hands too much though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you able to provide anymore exact information as to where i minght find this relay? and would it also differ as my car is right hand drive, where as i guess yours is a left hand drive.

i am currently having to drive around without the fuse in nr 36 as the blowers will not turn off, also i am unable to adjust the speed control, and temp.

looking forward to any further suggestions on how to fix this, before i have to resort to booking into the Merc dealer, which i guess will not be cheap!!!

thanks in advance

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Cant place a relay near battery Box? other than purge valve for fuel tank..

Mja please fill in where you are and what you drive ;)

It sounds to me like the HVAC unit in the dash may be faulty or the reg on fan is shot at a guess.

Bazzle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bazzle,
Thanks for your suggestion
I have a SLK 200 Kompressor (2001) right hand drive. Located near London England.
Any suggestions as to how i can test the HVAC unit to see if it is faulty before i try to buy a new one?
Thanks, MJA

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
mja1979 said:
Bazzle,
Thanks for your suggestion
I have a SLK 200 Kompressor (2001) right hand drive. Located near London England.
Any suggestions as to how i can test the HVAC unit to see if it is faulty before i try to buy a new one?
Thanks, MJA
There is a button sequence but I cant find the info :confused:
Anyone else remember the reset for this part:rolleyes:

Bazzle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wondered if anyone had any new ideas on this problem, or its an expensive trip to the Merc dealer !!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
On my 2003 SLK32, the recirc button does not work anymore.This usually boosts the fan speed.Any ideas?
Adrian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bazzle, thanks for this, can you please direct me as to the best way to find this is it (on the heater, left/ right hand side?, behind the dash?? Thanks fo your help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bazzle, it was the regulator on the fan unit. Spot on diagnosis. Thanks
For others refererence I paid £100 for this part at Eurocarparts compared to the Mercedes dealer who quoted £160.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A refresh

Hi, I just wanted to add my experience, as I had similar issues, initially my Fan wasnt working on a used SLK I had bought (1998) so I bought a new regulator as was the cheapest thing to try, I fitted but this didnt resolve the issue, I then bought a 2nd hand fan and this fixed it, however I then I had the same issues as experienced above in that the fan would run on on a low speed no matter what I did with the key, Stereo or rest button. I tried relays, earths etc, very similar to what other users tried, in the end I put the previous air speed regulator on the fan (after cleaning it up), and it stopped and worked perfectly, the part I bought from the internet was clearly not original mercedes parts despite being sold and recieved as new. My advice would be to bite the bullet and buy a new original regulator.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts