Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
M270 auto "02" plate purchased 8/2010, previously owned V class
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks guys for the benefit of all your experinces on the V class. Your info enabled me to tackle today 2 jobs. First the dreaded pollen filter. Yes difficult to get at but worthwhile as now I can get a draft of air through. Took your advice and decided to leave the pollen filter off for the present. While in the mood decided to tackle the heater blower motor which had been getting slower and finally quit working. Couldn't cope with another hefty bill from Merc (just paid out £400+ to convert from air to rear steel springs) so managed with some difficulty to extract the blower. 2 of the 3 screws that hold the blower are reasonably accessable however the screw which is just behind the glove box was a swine to get out. Ideally a cross head screwdriver with a bendy shaft would make the screw removal more easy. On the bench connected up to 12 volts and could only get it to rotate slowly for a few seconds, however when shaken got it to blast away. The motor is held within the plastic housing by 3 rubber stoppers which can be released with a small flat screw driver. Once removed had a look at the brushes which are held in place by:) a spring which can be gently prised off. Underneath there is a short coiled spring which presses the brush against the commutator. The brushes quite badly worn also the comm was mucky. Once cleaned and new brushes soldered on the fan now works a treat.

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
A result!

My goodness there's lots of vito lovin' going on at the moment. Must be spring time or something.

Nice one mate.

Adam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't fancy paying out £100 or so for a new motor from Europarts. Expect that Merc would just have changed the unit (parts & labour would probably be a 2nd mortgage) but if the motor still functions worth a bit of investigation. Without Punjabi, Sarge,Adamuk etc probably would have just thrown money at it. Anyone who has a heater motor malfunction (and has the time) should certainly try to have a go at repair. Bob

·
Registered
V220 CDI 2003
848 Posts
WELL DONE MATE, :thumbsup:

It's always MUCH more satisfying to do the job yourself AND PROPERLY . . as I've always said, nobody does it better than one self...:D

Thanks for sharing as that is a common problem with the fan.
I would advise to install a new pollen filter as the traffic fumes don't do anyone any good, especially in LONDON :eek: and they do get concentrated in the cab.

So....whats next on your list?! . . . LOL :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bit more info on the replacement brushes for the heater motor. As unable to get the identical replacement brushes which are 9mm x 8mm and slightly offset, had to use oversize starter motor brushes (Intermotor Part No 6601 which on the box says replacing 255659). Each starter motor brush has two copper tails so cut one down the middle with a junior hacksaw then slimmed the two halves down to fit using fine wet & dry paper. Then shamfered the sparky end to fit the commutator. My soldering iron wouldn't melt the joint on the old brush tails so just soldered the old and new tails together. Total Cost £2 from the local car accessory shop plus you then get a spare set for next time!
PS An extra long and fine crosshead screwdriver will just slip between the glove box flap and the surround will enable you to get at the difficult third screw on the heater motor housing.
Re the pollen filter, agree that this should be re-fitted asap. In view of the difficult location is it worth using a filter such as a cooker hood type replacement under the bonnet (hood) held in place with cable ties? I envisage some problems as the heater fan is designed to blow rather than suck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Many thanks guys for the benefit of all your experinces on the V class. Your info enabled me to tackle today 2 jobs. First the dreaded pollen filter. Yes difficult to get at but worthwhile as now I can get a draft of air through. Took your advice and decided to leave the pollen filter off for the present. While in the mood decided to tackle the heater blower motor which had been getting slower and finally quit working. Couldn't cope with another hefty bill from Merc (just paid out £400+ to convert from air to rear steel springs) so managed with some difficulty to extract the blower. 2 of the 3 screws that hold the blower are reasonably accessable however the screw which is just behind the glove box was a swine to get out. Ideally a cross head screwdriver with a bendy shaft would make the screw removal more easy. On the bench connected up to 12 volts and could only get it to rotate slowly for a few seconds, however when shaken got it to blast away. The motor is held within the plastic housing by 3 rubber stoppers which can be released with a small flat screw driver. Once removed had a look at the brushes which are held in place by:) a spring which can be gently prised off. Underneath there is a short coiled spring which presses the brush against the commutator. The brushes quite badly worn also the comm was mucky. Once cleaned and new brushes soldered on the fan now works a treat.
Hi dorsetbobo. I realise your post is ancient, but I have the same vehicle and heater acts up the same. Want to try your solution but have not worked on this vehicle yet. Do I have to access the heater from below the dash, i.e. remove vent panels below dash? Where did you find replacement brushes? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vito Mk1 heater fan replacement

Just wanted to add my tuppence-worth to the 638 heater thread: my recommendation is, take it out and have a look BEFORE you buy any bits. Just taken mine out (113, 52 reg, 80K) only to find that a foam seal had fallen in to it which had stopped it. Removed the blockage and works fine. The seal which has fallen in is from a flap above the fan, I guess this is something to do with the air recycling function, but I've left it out now anyway as chances are if I replace, it will just fall off again. A couple of extra tips on removing the fan unit: take off the bonnet release catch, you can get to one of the screws more easily through there, plus you can see what you're doing through there. When you remove the catch, immediately behind it is a big bag of wires, tied on to the horizontal dash bar immediately above it. Snip the tie to release this bag, then you can drop it down out of the way. Also tied on to the dash bar are 2 or 3 wiring looms, snip the ties on these and bring them down out of the way as well. Then you can pull the fan unit out easily. The third screw for the unit can be reached through the gap at the bottom of the glove box, you should be able to see this clearly if you shine a torch in through the gap. If you have a van with no glovebox (shelves only), you should be able to lever the surround off to reveal this gap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts