Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'01 E430 4Matic
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my '01 430, I only get heat out of the climate control system when it is on hi. At normal temperatures, 70 something, i get cool air. The air cond seems to work fine. Anyone else ever seen this problem who can tell me how to fix it?

·
Registered
2000 W210 E55 AMG, Silver/Black - Stock
611 Posts
Mines doing close to the same thing. I get heat at 78 and above, until then its cold air blowing. I have not looked into it yet.

·
Registered
E55 AMG
91 Posts
Sounds like the blend or 'flap' motors are sticking. They are electric motors which moves the flap for hot and cold air. Fairly simple to change and diagnose though access is usually the most difficult part.

It involves stripping down dash panels until you get to the heater box.Then check the travel on all the heater doors by operating the heater etc. Usually they just need straight replacement.

Chris R
Master Tech.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Actually, the auto function on the aircon/heating system has this kindof lock out affair - like a 8 - 1- degree thing - where on auto the heat or cooling won't come on auto mode unless the outside air is beyond that range.

Do flaps get stuck in a W210, sure, but most of these "doesn't come on in auto unless I over ride issues" come from areas where the driver's definition of cold and hot are different from what the MB engineers thought.

If you start up in max mode, then once it's started, then you can dial back to comfort temp and it will keep operating.

·
Registered
'01 E430 4Matic
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fabbrisd1. You're right, I had already discovered by trial and error that if I start out on Hi then switch to a lower temp after 10 or 15 minutes, it will function correctly at the lower temp - I do have to wait awhile though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I noticed this on my 96 C280 when I first purchased it. It makes a lot of sense. Why blow cold air on the driver instead of waiting until the heater core is warmed up, then increase the blower speed. It now bugs me when I ride with someone in cold temps and they start a car and turn on the heat to full blast. All you get is cold air until the car is warmed up anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts