Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1979 450SL UK spec
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the picture below, how would you get to the jubilee clip at the far end of the hose, looks impossible to get to?

With the glove compartment removed, it looks like it connects to the yellow pipe.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,520 Posts
Access to hose clips.

Mine were a giant PITA too. Long screwdriver etc.If you can loosen it a bit then you can rotate it to see the screw head. You can also try access via open fresh air vents.However, if you are taking the dash out, then you probably won't mind removing the fresh air flaps ( NOT needed to get the dash out ). If you do that then be careful of the surrounding grommet where it connects to the scuttle.Ofcourse you also have to remove the lower dash covers and the glovebox.
You know- dismantle half the car so you can undo 2 clips.
The plus is you can check for rust under the flaps.I have some pics of the flaps- they are 1 piece frame and flap if you need them.

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
I tightened that clamp on my car by removing the exterior cowl vent. I can't remember if I needed to use two tools, or maybe a hex head ratchet on the nut. I might not have put the tool in through the cowl vent, but maybe needed to use my hand through that cowl vent to position whatever tool I was using... Maybe I was holding a screwdriver head on the screw. Perhaps I even needed to twist the clamp to get it into a position where I could tighten it.

It wasn't easy, but I didn't need to do anything on the inside of the cabin. Looking inside the cabin did help me understand what was going on though.

I think this is all in a thread entitled something like: "fun ride tonight but there's coolant on my foot"

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
Fonzi, now that you mentioned the clamp has a nut, I may have used a 1/4 inch ratchet with an extension and a swivel end. It's been a couple of years now I can't remember. I did go through the blower compartment though for sure.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
I have to ask. What is that thing in the first picture?

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,562 Posts
Fonzi, now that you mentioned the clamp has a nut, I may have used a 1/4 inch ratchet with an extension and a swivel end. It's been a couple of years now I can't remember. I did go through the blower compartment though for sure.
I can't remember which side had the tool, but I remember thinking..." Oh man, I did not even need to remove that cowl vent" but then realized that I probably would not have been able to do it without removing the cowl vent.

Sometimes my memory is creative though.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
1979 450SL UK spec
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to ask. What is that thing in the first picture?

It's a new toy to give me some heating control, my hot air is not controlable, I guess due to poor seals on all the internal heater flaps, its either hot or cold.

So I bought one of these kits, the hot water servo control is not hermetically sealed and is supposed to go on the cabin side of the bulkhead, I thought that inside the blower compartment is the next best thing. Other suggestions are welcome. Not sure where the control will be mounted either yet but may put it in the ash tray.

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
I'm not sure how that valve kit will work. There are no controls to limit the temp of the hot water, only the speed of the fan and the amount the flaps are open?

·
Premium Member
5,520 Posts
Sorry, didn't notice the switch in the pic- it's kind of obvious!
Presumably you'll mount it between the two bulkheads where that rubber hose is?
I'll be interested to hear how well it works.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,510 Posts
I removed the fresh air grills, pushed the flap down and went in.

There are pics in the CLAP thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts