Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1989, 190E 2.6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if it is necessary to remove the dash and console to get at the heater core for inspection and/or removal.

I tried to check the other postings, but there are quite a few unrelated ones. If anyone knows of a posting, could you inform me - or give me some information on getting access to the core.[?][?]

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Yes- I have found out that you must remove the steering wheel and the dash in order to get to the heater core/heater control valve. Mine is leaking quite badly as there is a strong coolant odor coming from my vents, and coolant is actually dripping out of the a/c water drain hose under the car.

Do you have similar symptoms?

You should check my thread about Heater core/control valve leaking in this forum for more info.

-John

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
To service the valve and the core, you do have to pull the steering wheel and the dash.

BTW, I believe 2Phast (Rik) used a radiator "leak fix in a can" to rememdy his leak.

·
Registered
1989, 190E 2.6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I may try to use the leak stopper route.

Sorry to hear that getting to the core involves major work.
[:(]

·
Registered
1992 2.3 190E
1,545 Posts
I am hoping not to remove the steering wheel. The CD manual says you have to to get the instrument cluster out but you don't.

It was tight but no real force was needed to get the cluster past the wheel.

I have an airbag, ever seen the instructions for removing the steering wheel with an airbag, not for the faint hearted?

I just found a Heater Core, and will be giving it try without taking off the steering wheel first.

1992 190E 2.3

regards
Dan

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,805 Posts
You need to remove the cluster in order to remove the dash to access the heater core, and you do need to remove the steering wheel. The airbag is completely "de-fanged" when you disconnect the battery and make sure that there's no unusal static charge. You will need a torx driver to unscrew the bag from the wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just replaced my heater core in my '91 190E. The steering wheel did NOT have to be removed. The dash however does. Suggest you replace all the vacuum actuators and the potentiometer. Its not that hard of a job, just intimidating at first glance. Also, not a bad idea to replace your thermostat and check the radiator for leaks ---while you're there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts