Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,583 Posts
The vacuum solenoid and the valve on the '73 can be replaced with one from a '77. It has one vacuum inlet instead if two. Just need to figure out which vacuum hose to the solenoid opens the valve and plug the other one.
#1 should look like your set up and both are eliminated.
#2 is the later model.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Those ones are all over ebay for like $30 or so. Like the one rowdie pictured.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,583 Posts
Run. They have a really poor customer relations reputation.
Autohaus AZ. has it cheaper I think and over $50.00 is free shipping.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the new piece from AZ yesterday. Went in without any trouble. I found that the previous owner had punched out the old valve so open or closed, there was nothing to stop the flow.

The problem that I have now is that I can't get the new one to work, that is that I can't get vacuum from either the red or green line that were on the control valve.

Is there a diagram of how this vacuum circuit is supposed to work?

Also, as this is not my car, I have no idea how to work the climate controls on the dash. I've flipped, slid and rotated all the controls and have had some luck in making air come out of various vents, but I would like to know how it works.

I've attached a picture with the controls and each is lettered. Can someone please let me know what each thing does? ie: A is the blah blah control for the yadda yadda. :D

Your help figuring this out is appreciated!

Also, are the cowl vents operated by vacuum also, or are they the levers under the vents on the dash?

Attachments

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
7,143 Posts
...I found that the previous owner had punched out the old valve so open or closed, there was nothing to stop the flow.
The problem that I have now is that I can't get the new one to work, that is that I can't get vacuum from either the red or green line that were on the control valve.
Now you know why the PO "punched" out the gate in the valve... :)

Is there a diagram of how this vacuum circuit is supposed to work?
I believe Rowdie posted a diagram or such in the egv107 sticky... Aussiemerc has a posting there as well.

There is a link in the egv107 to the online service manual which will have a lot of info on the climate control systems...

Good luck...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ Thanks for the advice. I found a diagram for the levers on a later model but not for the dials.

Also, there is no vacuum diagram. I am looking for the link between the levers/dials and the actual piece I installed for the heater valve. I'm sure it's pretty straight forward, just can't trace it.

Electrical is a lot easier. :D

·
Premium Member
5,043 Posts
Vac line to water valve

^^ Thanks for the advice. I found a diagram for the levers on a later model but not for the dials.

Also, there is no vacuum diagram. I am looking for the link between the levers/dials and the actual piece I installed for the heater valve. I'm sure it's pretty straight forward, just can't trace it.

Your levers look like mine. I did a post but can't access it because its in my other computer in intensive care again. From memory the first lever has a vacuum line to the hot water valve which closes the valve when its in the fully down position. You can see how the hot water valve works by pressing the little (white?) lever about 30 degrees to open/close it. The fourth lever s/be down too as there is a vac line from the first lever to it and then from that lever back into the engine bay. At the same time the two levers shut off the air passing through the small heater core in the heater box by closing four flaps (2 left, 2 right) inside the box. The scuttle vent flaps are also vac operated but not by lever- by the temp a/c switch. Sorry I can't access my vac diagram- I didn't back it up. Hopefully the computer doctor will save it all. The vac lines are a bit of a pain to access but not hard to figure out. You can check on the passenger side by taking out the glove box.Driver's side requires more dismantling . Hope this helps.
By the way. on mine the two middle levers are only directional- demist and footwell-no vac.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,177 Posts

Nothing in here that looks like your car?

107 Vacuum Diagrams

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, trouble-shooting the vacuum and can't find the supply tank (#6). Where would it be located?

Her car doesn't have the locking system so parts 17, 18, 19 and 20 aren't there.

I can see where #10 goes into the passenger compartment.

Thanks MBGraham for the diagram!

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,583 Posts
Take a look under the right front fender above the tire just to make sure #19 is not there.
I didn't think Central locking was an option. I have it on both the '72 parts car and the '73.

I have not seen #6 and the '72 is pretty well stripped out.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,583 Posts
Guess I missed #6. It is a space that must be accessible from the inside. It is located behind here. Has a green vacuum line going to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, the Holidays are over and I went to trace the problem again.

Here's where I am. The '73 that I'm working on does not have vacuum locks, so I don't have 17, 18, 19, or 20 in the diagram.

With the newer style valve, I must only use one of the lines and to me it looks like it's #7 that opens the valve and #8 closes it, so I think that #7 is the one to hook up. Right? And #8 should be plugged.

Then the other question is where the vacuum starts at #11 (red arrow) is that a check valve? If so, that may be part of my problem as my car doesn't have that either. Maybe with it gone, the tank can't 'charge' and keep vacuum (#6).

Anyone a vacuum expert? This is one of the last hurdles to cross before the car is finished. Anyone use this newer style valve in an older car like mine and have any input.

Thanks!

p.s. Rowdie, are you parting that car? If so, is the quarter glass in the top tinted? Mine has one tinted and one not and am wanting to have both tinted.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,583 Posts
I will have to clean them up and check. They are coated with primer over spray.

I'll let you know.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,583 Posts
Mine have a greenish kind of color to them. Tint? Which side would you need if that is what you are describing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts