Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed coolant odor from vents in our 190, and found coolant dripping from a/c drain tube under the car. Anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to rule-out the heater core versus the heater control valve? Any idea what such a repair would cost?

Please post or email- any advice is appreciated.
-John

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
The valve might be an easier job, but if you're going to do one, you may as well do the other (and the vaccum valves too) since the dash is going to come off. The parts are relatively cheap . . . under $250, but if you're paying for labor, you're looking at 5 to 6 hours in a shop, double if your're DIYing for the first time.

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would DIY, but the Prev. Owner had the steering wheel removed and replaced at some point, and the center allen-bolt is stripped from someone over-torquing it on. I suppose they must have used an impact wrench which stripped it. SO- to remove the dash will require someone to get that wheel off first.

That will require the intervention of someone more skilled and equipped than myself. Anyone know of a good MB shop in the Chicago area?

And any suggestions for parts suppliers?

Thanks- John

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Hi. I recently took my 190D to Autobahn Motor Works in Mundelin at the corner of Rt.45 and Rt.83

I added a link to their website below.

This was my 1st trip to this shop as I just moved to the Chicago area. I was extremely happy with the service I rcvd. Not as cheap as the shop I used in Ohio but everything in Chicago costs more right?

http://www.autobahnmotors.net/1-european-auto-service.htm

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've recently moved to IL myself. Being new to the car and the area puts me in a bit of a bind. Back in San Antonio I had an excellent mechanic. Where I used to feel like I was "biting a bullet" everytime I had to drive or tow my previous car to him, I now WISH there was a way to get this 190 to him!

I'll try and do a mapquest on recommended shops and make a decision by next week. Any other suggestions?-please pass them my way! Any guidance is appreciated! Thanks- John

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3 8vlv
19 Posts
MTI - 4/20/2005 2:40 AM

...but if you're paying for labor, you're looking at 5 to 6 hours in a shop, double if your're DIYing for the first time.
Wow! If I could find someone in SoCal to do it in 5 or 6 hrs, I'd probably have it done.

I am thinking of doing it myself, but unfortunately I'd need a few drinks to have the courage to attempt it, but unfortunately, the thing that gives us the courage sometimes takes away the ability.

Oh well....

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
When you get down to it, the basic steps are pretty straight forward:

Drain system.
Beer to celebrate step one.
Warm up exercises and call to helper.
Remove steering wheel.
Rest, have another beer to celebrate victory over 10mm allen head bolt.
Pull instrument cluster, make mental note to buy new speedo cable to replace one just stretched.
Remove glove box door, A pillar covers, dash speakers and loosen center console. Inventory pens, paperclips, petrified french fries and loose change found in this exercise. Use newly found pens to write down all the vaccum lines and wiring connections to the center console and switches. Refresh oneself with another beer.
Locate bolts that hold dash onto chassis, undo and remove dash. Celebrate another victory with a beer.

Nap

Remove and replace heater core, vaccum elements and valve.

Reverse.

·
Registered
87 Euro 190d 2.0 4M
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good evening all!
Well, I REALLY wish I could do this job! I'll explain... My wife had complained about the girth of the steering wheel (It's nearly 17 inches in diameter! Ridiculous!- and no, I DON'T think it's original, but then who knows?). So I after researching the procedure on the shop manual cd, I bought a smaller sportier steering wheel, and a Momo adapter, and was going to swap the wheel. That procedure went sort of like this:

1. Gather parts, and yes- a beer (Dos Equis Lager with a lime wedge- hey I'm from Texas after all).

2. Following Instructions of shop manual cd, Propped steering wheel to prevent rotation.

3. Carefully pry Mercedes Star insignia from center of steering wheel with a small flat-head screwdriver.

4. Grab very nifty drop-light wife bought me and peer into cavernous opening left from removed insignia location.

5. Take note that the enormous allen-bolt in center of wheel has been over-torqued/tightened by approximately 1/4 of a turn, as the mark from some sort of permanent marker no longer lines-up across the steering wheel base and the large allen-bolt. (there had been a marker-drawn line, marking the position of the allen-bolt in the steering wheel base, and the allen bolt had been tightened 1/4 turn past that point- or even one full turn plus 1/4- who knows?).

6. Shouted profanity.

7. Consumed beer.

8. Grabbed nifty drop-light to peer into steering wheel again, noted that allen-wrench opening of allen bolt is NO LONGER HEXAGONAL- BUT NEARLY ROUND as someone must have stripped it in the process of over-tightening it.

9. Found new profanities to yell, and may have even created some new ones in the process. Waved to concerned neighbor across the alley.

10. Sat in car, finished the Dos Equis, and moved on to a Guiness.

11. Periodically used nifty drop light while drinking Guiness to peer into steering wheel, hoping that maybe it "wasn't all that bad." But situation did not spontaneously change.

12. Ended my suffering by re-inserting Mercedes insignia back in steering wheel, putting tools away, and letting the wife know I wasn't "going to be able to do it myself after all." (Can you feel my pain?)

SO- I will definitely need to find a capable shop to "undo" the allen-bolt thing, address the heater core, control valve and etc., and swap the wheel for me. Luckily the Momo adapter came with a brand new allen-bolt! I can only hope the shop (whoever they turn out to be- since I still haven't decided where to take it) will be able to get the bolt out!

So, if anyone can recommend a good shop in the Chicago area- please let me know. I'll need to drop it off for brakes and the aforementioned heater core mess some time next week.
Thanks to all- John

·
Registered
1992 2.3 190E
1,548 Posts
5-6 hours and a drink... exactly what I was thinking. I have stared at it longer than that.

Satyr - Most excellent post, I can hardly see my computer screen for the tears of laughter.

regards
Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts