Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know this should really go in the dedicated section but I thought that by asking the question here I may get an answer from someone who deals with the grown up stuff or has access to such info, so please don't move it unless you really have to. Thanks.

I own a 1999 A 170CDi and I'd like some info about the heater booster please. What I'd like to know is -

Is it Diesel or electric?
How can you tell if it's working? - this seems a silly question but I have nothing for comparison, I have no idea how long these engine take to give warm air if the booster is off or broken. I haven't noticed any difference turning it on but then how much extra heat will it generate?

If it's Diesel does it make a noise, if so what kind? Does it still make a noise even if it doesn't heat up?

Where's the unit in question?

A diagram or picture would be really useful.

Thanks in advance. I really hope someone can help.

Steve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's what I've found out elsewhere -

The heater is diesel power and is mounted under the floor beneath the front left hand seat and is hidden from view by the undertray. It's controlled by the ECU and will only function if the outside temperature is below 8C and coolant below 75C. When operating it sounds like a large hairdryer. It *may* lockout after several failures to light which *could* mean it'll need re-enabling using suitable diagnostic tools - the Hand Held Tester is referred to. It *may* also not function unless there's more than a 1/4 tank of fuel.

Steve.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts