Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
ML350 2003
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had my heater looked at because when I turned on full demist, the air came out of the windscreen vents and then after about 5 seconds tuned on to face vents meaning that the demist would not work. The dealer reprogrammed the heater and has sorted out the problem without having to take the dash apart.(done Free of Charge as they did it as part of the service)

I know there are other posts about heater parts failing, but I thought it would help by suggesting this route before incurring major cost.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Good to hear that your dealer resolved your issue for free.

You say "the dealer reprogrammed the heater". How would any one "reprogram" a heater? There are several flaps attached to the heater for allowing the air flow in various directions. Various motors control those flaps. Those motors go bad, eventually. That's the cause of many heater/AC problems folks are experiencing. Reprogramming doesn't bring back any dead motor.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
Everything is run by computers in your ML. The later models have even more
electronics to go wrong.

·
Registered
02 ML 55 (SOLD: 98 & 02 ML320)
1,309 Posts
in my 98 the dial has a wire attached to it and you "manually" controll the airflow HAHA!!...

anyways in newwer modules you dials are basically buttons that are wired to a computer chip that then engaged various functions/relayes. if your chip is broken or lets say for that reasons erased ....reprogramming does make sense indeed.

·
Registered
ML350 2003
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When they explained it to me it is clear that the way in which each motor actuator for driving the opening/closing of flaps is controlled, there has to be an electronic programme that is related to the pressing of buttons and turning of dials as it is electrically controlled rather than mechanically activated. The checking of the way in which the system works and 'resetting' of the system seems really logical.

It worked and that really is all that matters

1 - 5 of 5 Posts