Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1992 R129 500SL heater blower fan stopped working. I got it out of the car but when releasing the metal clip that holds the motor in place, the plastic clip/lip broke off. Does anyone know of a fix or solution to this? I am not sure whether I will be able to remount the fan motor securely.

Thanks.
View attachment 2607085

·
Registered
598 Posts
My 1992 R129 500SL heater blower fan stopped working. I got it out of the car but when releasing the metal clip that holds the motor in place, the plastic clip/lip broke off. Does anyone know of a fix or solution to this? I am not sure whether I will be able to remount the fan motor securely.

Thanks.
View attachment 2607085
This is common and well documented. There are various creative DIY fixes (such as with a large enough hose clamp) that will secure the fan in place. After failing on my first attempt to MacGuyver the repair -- and not wanting to go through the teardown a third time -- I ordered a new housing. Wasn't cheap at about $300 but at least it is done correctly with an OE part. I consider the design to be faulty as the plastic tab that holds the strap is doomed to fail eventually, so I reinforced the new one and figure I will never have to deal with it again. My fan is whisper quiet now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts