Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1985 - 500SEL
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not owned my 500SEL too long, and since I purchased it I have had no interior lights on the panel of the heater ac controls and the shifter selector on the center console.

Can anyone tell me if I am supposed to have interior light within these areas, and if I am how to replace?

Thanks...

This is not a pic of my interior just a representation. Thanks to the person who owns this MB and pic...

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
JD, yes, all those should light up.

The reason you were not getting any response is because we (IMO) expect you to do a search and find those answers. If you don't want to spend 30 seconds to do a search, why would you expect others to spend that much time answering your question.

BTW, replacing the shift gate light is a 30 minutes job at most. Even I did it myself and all the details were posted.

Peace

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
I'm not sure if all the items on the center console does light up. For example, I don't think the temp selector dial was ever designed to light up. I have to double check on mine next time I drive after dark - or perhaps mine is broken too. As NewMBie has noted, the shift gate should light up.

Welcome to the forum, and hope you enjoy your W126 - hang in there until you get your share of tar and feathers[:p]

Some on this forum are bipolars known to be on medication and when they're off, they get downright nasty - you can perform a search on that subject matter[:D]

·
Registered
1985 300SD
831 Posts
The shift gate lights are controlled through fiber optics which originate behind the radio. You will need to pull the ashtray and the radio. On the temp selector there are 2-3 small bulbs that light up those lights. There is also one located in the temp selector wheel. While you have everything out (radio, ashtray, CC panel) look straight back like you are looking at the rear of the motor. You will see the "octopus". At the center of all the "arms" (fiber optic cables) is the bulb that you will need to replace. A long pair of needle nose pliers will work here. It should just pull straight out.

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Shift gate light depends on year of car. My 91 has it's own bulb at the very front of the shifter - 10 minute job. The earlier models (87 and older?) apparently have this lit by the fiber optic "octopus" behind the A/C controls. The only light controlled by my octopus are the rear defroster switch, rear light switch and the hazard switch.

The A/C wheel should light as well. There are two bulbs behind the A/C control that light all switches.

Do a search on "center console remove" and you should find everything you need.

tw

·
Registered
1985 - 500SEL
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang guys thats some very good information... I will look into doing it this weekend. I will try to take some pics and post'em.

fyi... The only light that does work in this locationn is the rear defrost switch, but I this it is independant... Anyone know for a 1985 500SEL?

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
twalton - 4/26/2005 8:29 PM

The A/C wheel should light as well. There are two bulbs behind the A/C control that light all switches.

tw
Is that behind the entire AC control unit body (thereby having to pull the entire unit out to get to) or just behind the face panel of the unit (where I can just remove the front face of the AC control unit to access?).

All the switches on center control work except for the climate control switches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts