Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450SL
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone knows if there is a way to restore/ refurbish these knobs? As you can see from the pictures, the knobs on my car are pretty decent with the exception of the acrylic inserts, and shopping for new ones is cost prohibitive since you get used ones in dubious conditions for too much money. Also, the ones I find are blue (AC knob) while mine is green. Did it change at some point? Does anyone knows if I can get just the acrylic insert somewhere?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,153 Posts
Early cars had green and,in the case of the aircon, they may have a light inside. The air con on my 83 has a blue swirl and no light inside. Replacement knobs are crazy$$.
I think you could pull out the cracked piece of the fan switch and put new clear plastic in. The air con switch is probably a press fit (hard pull off) version with a light inside and a weird tube mount onto the white plastic rotating switch. Having looked closely at one I rescued from a parts car I think you could prise off the clear plastic and paint a new swirl on the inside. Having said that I don't know if the chrome ring is removable nor whether it holds the clear plastic in place. Good luck
BTW I think later switches on lever style boxes might fit .

·
Registered
1986 560SL
39 Posts
If there's a market for those inserts, you might have a side business ready, You could have a sheet of Acrylic silkscreened with hundreds of those images (reversed so the ink is on the inside when installed). We have a CO2 laser which cuts Acrylic incredibly fast.

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,153 Posts
If there's a market for those inserts, you might have a side business ready, You could have a sheet of Acrylic silkscreened with hundreds of those images (reversed so the ink is on the inside when installed). We have a CO2 laser which cuts Acrylic incredibly fast.
Well, the knobs would be a dime a dozen, it's the inserts that add value!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts