Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 G400CDI
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, -14C and forgot to turn on webasto. Ok, time to test the electrically heated windshield. I had a bad feeling it might not work.
So I started the engine, pressed the windshied defrost, blower got to max (with cold air evidently) and I waited for some melting. In the same time, activated heating in the rear.
Nothing happend in the windshield. After 1-2 min the rear was defrosted and windshield frozen like hell, with even more frost, this time on the interior.

I checked for voltage in the left plug above driver seat, 12V ok. On the right one, nothing.

My question is: could a minor crack intrerrupt only one on those tiny wires and affect the whole windshield? Aren't those wires connected in parallel like the ones in the back? Or might it be something else...

·
Registered
G270cdi 2004
130 Posts
...It might be you forgot thurn on webasto. Recomendation for -14C is DO NOT FORGET WEBASTO. Ok, I was joking. I think the heating wires inside the windshild are too delicate and not capable to melt without the support of hot air. On the back side wires could be much thicker (you don't have to wach the road through them) and melt the ice rapidly.

·
Registered
2002 MB G400CDI-1992 MB 300E-24- 2005 Mini Cooper S
362 Posts
Question: Does your front heated windshield have a dedicated button? Because i also have heated windshield but i have no button, and i ve seen other Gwagens that have one, so im really confused.

Dude i think we have the same haunted car...hahahh

·
Registered
2001 G400CDI
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our G's have no dedicated button. The heated windshield is activated when the left most button 'defrost' (icon like a windsheild) is ON, meaning only in the same time with all the air directed in the windshield.

I already tested the voltages at the 24 fuse (ok) and at the up-left windshield plug (that goes into the rubber line) with defrost ON and I have 12v there also. So the command circuit is ok, only the windshield seems to be interrupted.

What bothers me is that I only have one minor chip crack in the passanger seat windshield side and is the only one that could have gotten to the tiny wire. But in my understanding only that wire should be defective, not the whole wire system. Can someone confirm this? Are the wires connected in parallel?

·
Registered
G270cdi 2004
130 Posts
I have hited windshild and it is the same situation. Tried all combination and got melt only with warm engine. Please see your PM.

·
Registered
G270cdi 2004
130 Posts
Windscreen heating*
The windscreen heating is combined with
the Thermatic defrosting function
(�� page 188).
The heating time for the windscreen heating
is variable and is controlled in accordance
with the outside temperature and the
temperature of the engine.