Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Euro 300SEL
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked the archives but didn't find anything. Does anyone know what causes coolant to flow through the lines that go into the windshield washer reservoir?

Reason I ask is, last night after coming home, I decided to swap batteries. To get at the hold-down clamps, I wanted to move the washer reservoir out of the way. When I pulled one of the coolant lines off, coolant started spraying out! Put the hose back on, cleaned up what came out and finished the job, but I guess I was a little surprised to see that happening? Is it just because the engine was just run and still under pressure? Just want to make sure its not abnormal...

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,279 Posts
Hey Markus,

That is normal.

The way Mercedes-Benz engineered the system to keep the windshield (and headlamp) washer fluids hot was to divert some engine coolant to run through the windshield washer fluid reservoir.

Hot fluids clean much better than fluids that are kept from turning to ice by anti-freeze.

Instead of an additional electrical circuit that can fail, MB made use of an available source that is plentiful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts