Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody tried installing one of these systems? I'm going to be purchasing my first car (2001 E430 4Matic) in a few weeks and since I usually get a lot of snow where I live, I want to gear up for it as much as possible and I was looking online and saw that you could buy heated washer fluid systems for relatively low prices (ex.

I'm interested in these because my friends who are already driving are always complaining about removing frost, snow, etc. from their windshields, and this seems like it'd be very effective against frost and snow, especially.

So, has anyone tried installing any of these into their E430's? If so, how did it go? Any problems at all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1996 e320, 2002 sl500, 2001 SLK230
138 Posts
I think you will find that your car already has a "heated washer fluid system". The radiator water is circulated (in a closed loop) through the washer fluid resevior and heats it.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Are you aware that your car already has one? It uses heated water, so the engine has to get warm first, but it works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you will find that your car already has a "heated washer fluid system". The radiator water is circulated (in a closed loop) through the washer fluid resevior and heats it.
Are you aware that your car already has one? It uses heated water, so the engine has to get warm first, but it works.
Wow, I never knew that. Thanks for the info and quick replies, guys. Saved me from wasting $80. :)

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,004 Posts
I bet lot of members will wonder what is the purpose of wires hooked up to the injector nozzles. They are electric heaters. Some tubings carrying the fluid do have heat strip wrapped around them as well.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,539 Posts
The heated nozzles, the heated bottle, all help. But the best is to get washer fluid that goes to -40oC before freezing.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,539 Posts
Sorry got it wrong, should have said - 65 oC.:p

Comma X Stream Screen Wash. Don't know if it's available in the US.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Never seen that product but I live in a small town and there's quite a bit we cannot buy here. Good work on the F-C conversion, I was too lazy to put my pen to paper.

C = 5/9F -32 isn't it?

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,539 Posts
-29C is the same as -20F.

-65C is the same as -85F

The scales are not linear one against the other. So, -65C is really really cold:eek:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,004 Posts
Scales are linear as the multiplier is 5/9 but with different starting point.
I think 98% spirit will go that low but would check the oil freezing point before turning the engine at -65C.
I had low freezing fluid driving in 4 seasons and it worked well since I was using the fluid in buckets. In CA even if I put the -20F fluid one season, the 5 l tank last me for 3 or more years and the low freeze ingredients evaporate being constantly heated up.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,539 Posts
I don't think it is linear:

-30c= -22F

-20c= -4F

-10c=14F

0c=32F

10c= 50F

20c= 68F

30c=86F

But, every 10 degrees on the C scale is 18 degrees on the F scale. So 5/9 is correct, but only in the amount by which the F scale increases/decreases more quickly than the C scale (if you see what I mean).

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,539 Posts
Scales are linear as the multiplier is 5/9 but with different starting point.
I think 98% spirit will go that low but would check the oil freezing point before turning the engine at -65C.
I had low freezing fluid driving in 4 seasons and it worked well since I was using the fluid in buckets. In CA even if I put the -20F fluid one season, the 5 l tank last me for 3 or more years and the low freeze ingredients evaporate being constantly heated up.
If as you say outside temp was -65C we'd have a lot more to worry about than driving!!

But windchill will reduce the actual temp at the nozzles so the margin for error with -65C fluid is great...they'll never freeze. In winter I will fill my wash bottle weekly.

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,332 Posts
I don't think it is linear:

But, every 10 degrees on the C scale is 18 degrees on the F scale. So 5/9 is correct, but only in the amount by which the F scale increases/decreases more quickly than the C scale (if you see what I mean).
The scales are different but they are both linear. That is to say, if you chart them they would both be a straight line if you measure heat content vs temperature. Except at 0deg C (32F)and 100deg C (212F) where the function is not linear due to latent heat. 1 lb of steam at 212f has a lot more heat then 1lb of water @ 212deg.

Unlike something that is not linear, such as the % of water:anterfreeze vs. freezing temperature of the coolant. Look at the chart on the jug of Prestone - it's not a straight line.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts