Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
03 ML350, 06 SLK55 AMG
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 ML front driver seat only heats the back portion of the seat. The bottom cushion is not heated. What is wrong with the seat and how do I fix it? The fuses are good.

Could it be a broken heating wire that would need to be resoldered? Any DIY link would be great.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,972 Posts
Most likely cushion heating element is burned out. You can remove seat and check element resistance. You can swap heater relays left to right. Heating element is part of seat cushion leather or fabric cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 ML320
56 Posts
The front drivers seat in my 98 ML320 is behaving exactly the same way -- bottom cushion no longer heating, just the back heat is working. It's been that way for several years now. But that's fine with me. I have back issues and this way I can use the back heater year round to relieve back pain -- even in the summer -- without having the bottom cushion heater turn on.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,104 Posts
The front drivers seat in my 98 ML320 is behaving exactly the same way -- bottom cushion no longer heating, just the back heat is working. It's been that way for several years now. But that's fine with me. I have back issues and this way I can use the back heater year round to relieve back pain -- even in the summer -- without having the bottom cushion heater turn on.
The nice thing about the 98ML is that you can just replace the heating pad which is separate from the upholstery. I think I paid about $30 for the bottom cushion heating pad. It uses adhesive strips, which are supplied, to stick the pad down to the foam cushion.
Mike

·
Registered
'03 S430 4matic; '00 S430; '98 ML320
40 Posts
The nice thing about the 98ML is that you can just replace the heating pad which is separate from the upholstery. I think I paid about $30 for the bottom cushion heating pad. It uses adhesive strips, which are supplied, to stick the pad down to the foam cushion.
Mike
Thanks, Mike;

Same deal on our '98. Thought about switching out for passenger side, but for just $30 It'd be nice to keep both sides working...
Who's your source for $30 bottom cushion heating pad?

And a brief description of seat removal and cushion removal would be awesome, too...:)

Best,
PK

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
This thread is 2 years old...so you might not get a response lol.

Mine is doing the same thing actually...thanks for digging this up...I will check out parts for it.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Well, it's better than the alternative. Some people have had the element burn holes through the leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,154 Posts
Thanks, Mike;

Same deal on our '98. Thought about switching out for passenger side, but for just $30 It'd be nice to keep both sides working...
Who's your source for $30 bottom cushion heating pad?

And a brief description of seat removal and cushion removal would be awesome, too...:)

Best,
PK
I don't know where Mike got his heated pad, but the MSRP from the dealer is $185. With tax and shipping you can get it for a little less at parts.com.

Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life

Attachments

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I don't know where Mike got his heated pad, but the MSRP from the dealer is $185.
I am looking at the invoice from the Mercedes dealer in RI.
Part no. 163-820-03-98, Heating Pad, List Price $39.50, Net Price $32.39 plus $2.27 tax for a total of $34.66. Invoice date 09/29/2003.
Wow, the price certainly has gone up since then.
Mike

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
You can get seat elements in the aftermarket

pretty reasonably. I think I paid less than $100 for the elements for the seat and back, necessary wiring, switches, relays, etc. when I put heated seats in my boat. In that case I was specifically looking for carbon fiber heating elements since fine wires tend to have a short and unhappy life in a salt water boat. Can't remember the name of the company but I found it with Google or similar just searching for seat heater or heated seats or some such.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
pretty reasonably. I think I paid less than $100 for the elements for the seat and back, necessary wiring, switches, relays, etc. when I put heated seats in my boat. In that case I was specifically looking for carbon fiber heating elements since fine wires tend to have a short and unhappy life in a salt water boat. Can't remember the name of the company but I found it with Google or similar just searching for seat heater or heated seats or some such.
Here is one company;
Seat Heater for Cars and Trucks from HeaterSeats.com
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts