Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1998 W210 E55
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heating on the drivers side mirror of my 1998 E55 has stopped working. I've had the glass out and there does not seem to be any power getting to any of the 4 wires in the conector.

Does anybody know if the heating element has it's own fuse? Power adjustment works, just not the heater.

Any tips appreciated:beerchugr:

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Not sure what switches the power on. It would seem to come on automatically for some time and is not dependent on the rear window defogger. So don't just assume that there is no power. You'll probably have to check first thing in the morning when it's very cold.

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
The heating on the drivers side mirror of my 1998 E55 has stopped working. I've had the glass out and there does not seem to be any power getting to any of the 4 wires in the connector.

Does anybody know if the heating element has it's own fuse? Power adjustment works, just not the heater.

Any tips appreciated:beerchugr:
To answer you specific question------NO, however

Pin 1 and 2 are the connections for the heating aspect of the mirror. With the ignition on you shoud have 11-12 volts-------that requirement, to heat up, is a CAN message to the right side door control module which supplies the voltage.

Do you have voltage at connector 1 and 2? Do the pins or connector look corroded??-------Is your outside temp sensor reading correctly?? Check the door control module 20A fuse #16 under the hood---is that good???

Either the door control module is not getting the message and not allowing voltage to flow to the mirror heater------or it is getting the message and does send voltage, but the cable/connection does not provide the voltage!!

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1998 W210 E55
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From your question I assume that the heated mirrors are tied into the outside temp sensor and only come on below a certain temp? I thought they came on with the heated rear screen regardless of temp. If so, it was probably too warm yesterday when I tested it. What it the temp below which they do come on? Which are pins 1 & 2?
I'm now thinking that as the passenger side works, it's more likley that the heater element on the glass has failed.

Thanks

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
From your question I assume that the heated mirrors are tied into the outside temp sensor and only come on below a certain temp? I thought they came on with the heated rear screen regardless of temp. If so, it was probably too warm yesterday when I tested it. What it the temp below which they do come on? Which are pins 1 & 2?
I'm now thinking that as the passenger side works, it's more likely that the heater element on the glass has failed.

Thanks
Your assumption is not correct----the outside temp sensor is not in any way "tied" to the heated mirror.

The question I asked was-----does it work correctly??? Or put another way what was the outside temp when you did the test and were the rear heated screens turned on.

Your observation regarding when the heating of the mirror comes on is correct, however confirmation of that is in you respective owners manual.

You indicated that you removed a connector from the mirror. The connector is marked with the respective pin/connector locations. Look closely.

I am at a location where I do not have access to the technical data and therefore not able to answer your question regarding heated mirror temp activation, but that could be a moot issue once you review your owners manual!!

However when looking at this months ago, I think, I remember seeing a statement in the technical lit that indicated a temp threshold was established. I could be wrong. I will knew Monday.

·
Registered
1998 W210 E55
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the owners manual the heating is activated automatically at low temps, does not state what temp threshold is though. Looks like I need to test for voltage when it's really cold. I think I'll remove the glass again and put 12v across pins 1 & 2 to rule out a faulty heater element first.

Thanks for you input:bowdown:

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
According to the owners manual the heating is activated automatically at low temps, does not state what temp threshold is though. Looks like I need to test for voltage when it's really cold. I think I'll remove the glass again and put 12v across pins 1 & 2 to rule out a faulty heater element first.

Thanks for you input:bowdown:
Now you are thinking---the heated mirrors are totally independent of rear window defroster, which is complicated system in itself.

The heated mirrors have a thermostat on the rear of the mirror and when the glass temp is equal to or greater than 15C the circuit is closed and voltage from the door control module heats the mirror until the glass temp is equal to or greater than 25C.

Make sure the key is turned on----you should have 11 to 12 volts at connector position 1 and 2----if you do and it is 17C out the glass will not heat until it drops to 15C, but if it is 13C and you have voltage than the mirror thermostat is faulty and not replaceable----you will need new mirror glass.

If that is the case don't buy the Autohause cheap crap it may not have the heated feature, but look the same------just ask loads of questions!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
I've discovered why my drivers side mirror doesn't heat up......It's not connected ! It has the plug for an auto-dimming glass but a PO has installed an ordinary heated glass,the passenger side was standard heated only from the start. I'm not bothered about auto-dimming especially at nearly £300 for a glass, so I just want to connect the heated glass I have now......If pins 1 and 2 are for the heater element and the glass only has two pins,with it being an element does it matter which way round they go?

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
So WTF are you saying-----you don't want to spend the euros for dimming but you want the heated feature back!!!

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
Once again you CTS out of me.

You indicated that the previous owner put a heated mirror on!!!

That being the case it will have pins on the mirror-----or are you saying that you THINK you have a heated mirror, but just don't have the pins!!

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
Once again you CTS out of me.
Haven't got a clue what language you are speaking there,but it might explain your inability to read my post properly:) I have stated that the mirror glass is a heated one but not auto-dimming, I also stated I don't want auto-dimming and the fact that the plug is for auto-dimming.....I was asking whether it makes a difference which way round to connect pins 1 and 2 to the HEATED glass.

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
The heated connections are interchangeable -- it does not matter. Mine had the same connector on both.

Also - make sure you tape up the dimming wires -- they are powered by an out put in the mirror -- you don't want to have a problem

I also replaced mine with a non-dimming replacement when the dimming failed -- Glass was over $500.00. I went with the Euro blind spot mirror w/heat.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
yeldogt Thank you for a sensible answer and confirming what I thought! Musikmann Thanks for that, someone certainly CTS out of me!!! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1999 E300 TD
2,045 Posts
yeldogt Thank you for a sensible answer and confirming what I thought! Musikmann Thanks for that, someone certainly CTS out of me!!! :thumbsup:
What you FAILED to understand is that there are NO pins for dimming. Dimming takes place chemically. That's the major reason for the expensive OE mirror.

You should have a five socket connector two for the heating function and three for the actuation of the driver mirror motor. There is no taping or covering unless you want to lose the mirror motor function.

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
The dimming has a connection -- it is a powered connection comiing from the inside rearview mirror - one connector with both wires. When the inside mirror's sensor dims it sends power out to dim the driver door mirror. They are both Liquid Crystal and as such are more expensive then standard glass. An aftermarket inside mirror with all the controls can be purchased for $89.00 USD -- so the MB unit is a little overpriced:eek:

The heated function is separate and is two individual spade connectors.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
Tomorrow in the daylight I will take some pictures for you, in the mean time...There is a round plug just dangling ( not connected )...The mirror glass ( heated) has a two pin connector which is square ( round plugs and square connectors don't fit together) I intend to cut wires on said round plug and connect them to square plug, thus giving power ( electricity ) to heated mirror glass....Nothing on that round plug ( the one that won't connect to the square one) is controlling the mirror adjustment motors. This is a reply to post #16

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I thought MB called these "electrochromatic" which to me indicates an electrical stimulus is applied to the glass containing the chemical?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts