Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 s 500 lang
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The hose from windshield washer reservoir to nozzles should be heated.
Does anybody know where the electrical wiring to this hose and the heated nozzles are placed? Also if there are other electrical components that should be checked. I am trying to figure out the function of this.

Thanks in advance.

JH

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2005; W140 S280 1994 (Sold Nov. 2012)
867 Posts

·
Registered
1x 98 S500, 1x 07 S550
138 Posts
Yes, the squirter nozzles are heated electrically. Power runs along the hood hinges. The reservoir is heated with radiator coolant, and you can trace the lines back to the duo valves. The washer fluid can become too hot to touch during the winter - not boiling, but probably 170F or so.

These same lines run under the windshield base, and via a thermostat near the throttle sending unit, it controls the amount of heat going into the bottom of the windshield. You can feel the bottom of the windshield during the winter, and it will be very warm. Heat sinks carry it along the entire base.

This has nothing to do with the defroster, which is vented from inside. Some 140s vary according to model maturity etc.

Regards

·
Registered
1996 s 500 lang
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Mike for the diagram,

I removed the thermoswitch. It is located in hood over the fuse box. It has partnr 126 820 11 11. There are 3 terminals on the switch but only 2 of them had wires going in to them. Maybe the previous owner tampered with this. Also there was a single cable that seemed to have been cut off? Anyway when i removed the cable one of the pins had corroded so bad that I have to buy a new thermoswitch.

I removed the plastic cover that is next to thermoswitch trying to se where cables end up but there are no cables under this cover.

Then I run out of time, I will continue investigation next weekend.

Cheers

JH

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 s 500 lang
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diagram needed

Hello!

I checked the wires and the circuit diagram in previous post is not accurate, I think it is for w126. There is only 2 nozzles in the diagram and I got 3 on my car.

Right now I got at least 3 cables that need to be connected into this system.

Does anybody have the accurate diagram or knowledge to share?

Bregards

JH

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2005; W140 S280 1994 (Sold Nov. 2012)
867 Posts
Hello!

I checked the wires and the circuit diagram in previous post is not accurate, I think it is for w126. There is only 2 nozzles in the diagram and I got 3 on my car.

Right now I got at least 3 cables that need to be connected into this system.

Does anybody have the accurate diagram or knowledge to share?

Bregards

JH
Sorry about that - now I come to think of it, mine has 3 nozzles as well.

How about this diagram: http://www.autolib.diakom.ru/CAR/Mercedes-Benz/1995/S500/SYSTEM WIRING DIAGRAMS/5734.pdf

except that it says that it's the '95 spec.

Mike

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
473 Posts
Going by the second picture of the circuit trace side of the switch, the connector nearest the thermo switch is the power supply line, which should hav 12v on it when the car is on. The other two connectors go to the nozzles.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
"The reservoir is heated with radiator coolant"

I thought the reservoir was heated electrically? But geebee's statement looks confirmed with a pic from ALLADATAdiy. It shows 2 "lines to heat exchanger", which look like hoses. So, I guess there's a little closed coolant tank in the reservoir. Don't see where the washer fluid leaves the reservoir, however. Anyway, both pdf's show a heater element called "Heated Windshield Washer Pump Hose".

Where is this ? I don't think the entire length is heated.
"These same lines run under the windshield base, ... it controls the amount of heat going into the bottom of the windshield. You can feel the bottom of the windshield during the winter, and it will be very warm. Heat sinks carry it along the entire base."

When my wife pulled the car into the garage tonight I felt the same thing .. very warm. There seem to be vents below the wipers flush with the windshield, pointed upwards toward them. I'm just curious as to where the lines are and how they transfer heat to the windshield. Metal heater coolant lines connected to the heat sinks mentioned ?

What's the purpose ? To keep the wiper blades warm ?

At the ru website, the pdf for my year/model likewise only shows 2 nozzles, though I have 3. Looks like if you have only 2, there are also heater elements for each side's hose, in addition to the "heated windshield washer heater hose". If you have 3, no separate heater elements for the hoses.

Quite an interesting setup. My wife drove home after work and the temps around here this aftn were just a little less than freezing, with very light occasional rain. The drops were frozen on the roof, left mirror cover, and other places, but the windshield was simply wet and ice free. Some of that of course was due to the warm pax compartment, but the lower glass below the wipers sure was warm.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
"The reservoir is heated with radiator coolant"

I thought the reservoir was heated electrically? But geebee's statement looks confirmed with a pic from ALLADATAdiy. It shows 2 "lines to heat exchanger", which look like hoses. So, I guess there's a little closed coolant tank in the reservoir. Don't see where the washer fluid leaves the reservoir, however. Anyway, both pdf's show a heater element called "Heated Windshield Washer Pump Hose".
It is just a simple coil of metal tubing that coolant runs through that goes down into the coolant reservoir.

Brett

1 - 9 of 9 Posts