Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 E420 Benz.

I looked around on this forum and could not find any think of with these topics, I am hoping someone can help.

#1- the heat doesn't seem as hot as it should be. it has been real cold recently and the heater in the car works, but it just doesn't seem as hot as it should be. any ideas?

#2- How do you program the seats on this car? It has memory functions for the seat to save for 2 settings.

#3- How do I set the garage door opener to open my garage door?

#4- This car is TERRIBLE in snow or icy conditions. I am lucky I have other cars to drive when its bad out, but when i do drive this car even in minimal snow, it cannot handle the road. It spins out and slides and slides even at very low speeds. Any idea to help this ? Would it help if I put a few hundred pounds on sand or something like that in the trunk?

I have had this car for a while, but do not have the manual in regards to programming seats and garage door remote opener. Of even a diagram of the dash and heater controls with each buttons functions (EC button?) some of the others.

Thank you any help on any of the topics would be greatly appreciated.

:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
We have different cars but I might be able to help with a couple of your questions.

1) My climate control never tells the heater to blow what I'd call hot air. I think MBs will get to the programmed settings eventually, but probably not as quickly as you're used to in other cars.

2) I don't program my seats but I think you just get them where you want them, then you hit the numbered button and then the green one to save those settings. If that doesn't work, try hitting the buttons in the reverse order. There are only those 2 possibilities ;)

3) I don't have a garage door opener so have never learned how to do that.

4) Sand in the trunk is probably a good idea too but I would try snow tires first. I don't use them but I have seen several members here say they use and like them.

Some owner's manuals are available online at MBUSA.COM but you might have to register yourself and your car to access those. It's no trouble, I did it in a couple of minutes. Your manual might be also available from MBUSA - 800-FOR-MERC. If not, I found and have bought a few manuals for my used car on eBay.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
2 and 3

I will give you a hand on the owners manual. There may be a copy on this forum. If not, go to mbusa.com and join e Owners Online. You can view or print the complete manual for your car. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Seats and Opener

Program seats
1. Adjust seat to desired position.
2. Press Green Program button.
3. Press memory number.

Garage door opener.
1. Press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons until the indicator light begins to flash (after 20 seconds). Do not hold for longer than 30 seconds. Do not repeat this step to program additional HomeLink buttons.

2. Place the hand-held remote 1-3 inches from the HomeLink button you want to program.

3. Simultaneously, press and hold both the HomeLink and hand-held remote buttons. Do not release either button until step 4 has been completed.

4. When the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash, release both buttons.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the "learn" or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached).

6. Press and release this “learn” or “smart” button. (The name of these buttons vary by manufacturer.) There are 30 seconds in which to initiate step 7.

7. Firmly press, hold for two seconds, and release the programmed HomeLink button. If the light on the motorhead unit flashes, you're done, otherwise, do this procedure again and, depending on the make of your garage door opener, do this procedure a third time to complete the procedure.

The garage should now activate when the programmed HomeLink button is firmly pressed and released.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts