Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The exhaust heat shield is rattling when my Gwagon idles. In the past I have just tightened the screws and that solved the noise issue. Now I have noticed that the heat shield is actually starting to rust at its mounting points. Is there any danger in just removing the heat shield? Appears to be plenty of room in the wheel well for heat dissipation.

Would appreciate any feedback or comments.

Thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. The noise is driving me crazy. It will be coming off this weekend.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If you look very closely, it is possible that some of those fixing screws were tightened too much at the factory and sliced through the heat shield completely. Then it rattles. That was the case on my 2002 G500. Some fender washers fixed it.

I would be hesitant to remove them. Some engineer in Mercedes must have looked at it and decided they were needed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
my 300's heat shield was already gone (in most parts) when i bought it.
the footwell directly above the exhaust line sometimes gets too warm without the heatshield, and that's the driver's side for me :(
if i can find one, or someone who'd fabricate one for me for cheap, i'd buy a new set

i don't like sweaty legs and feet

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wouldn't remove the heat shield. It was put there for a purpose. My '05
G500 has the same rattle problem but I haven't done anything about it yet. I once had a 450SEL where the heat shield over the catalytic converter fell off. I didn't make anything of it until the heat generated by the catalytic converter ignited some leaking ATF fluid and set the car on fire!

·
Registered
110 Posts
the heat shield is basically a layer of glass wool sandwiched between 2 aluminum foil.
i think this glass wool could catch fire if exposed to high heat.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't think so. A heat shield earned it's name for a reason. It reflects heat back and away from anything vulnerable to higher temperatures. I would not remove it under any circumstances.

the heat shield is basically a layer of glass wool sandwiched between 2 aluminum foil.
i think this glass wool could catch fire if exposed to high heat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i don't know about yours, but mine tears in a few places, and that's all there was to it.
glass wool is very effective in insulation, even more if sandwiched between aluminum foils. and it's used extensively in buildings as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts