Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had no luck with this the last time I tried ten some-odd years ago. It seems prudent to do a bunch of research first this time.

The clips on both the front headliner trim and rear headliner trim have a tendency to come off after removing said trim. The rear clips appear to be ABS plastic while the fronts are metal. Rears are glued on and the fronts are pressed on.

Can anyone weigh in on what adhesives to use? Or general methods for getting these things back on?

You can see in the pic below that the PO/Guy I sold it to had success peeling back the vinyl and sewing in the metal ones. Unfortunately this piece is trashed and I'd rather not peel back the vinyl on the new piece.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,551 Posts
I've never found an adhesive strong enough for the clips on the back panel. It sees such temperature extremes, and then also the damp air from the boot comes up through when the car is sitting.

Doesn't mean a good enough adhesive doesn't exist though..

·
Registered
1983 300SD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking of cutting strips out of the old piece, layering them over the sides of the clips and glueing that together. Pretty sure I could bond cardboard to cardboard pretty well. I don't think they were ever glued in to begin with. It seems like they were just pressed on.

Gotta give it to the guy I sold her to. Sewing on is a pretty genius solution if you don't mind peeling the vinyl back.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,753 Posts
Maybe some very high bond double sided tape from 3M.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, so I have a tentative plan. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated

I have two good front pieces, a good rear and warped rear to play with. Four ABS front clips, three metal rears.

I took everything to a fabric store and on the rear the response was "nothing will hold that well".

I think what I'm going to try on the rear is cutting a decent size piece of the cardboard backing around the entire clip on the warped piece. Maybe 2" or so around the clip. Sand down a little to decrease depth. Inside of that, I'll cut a smaller hole for where the clip protrudes and fits into the car. The double sided tape seems like a good idea so I'll first attach the clip on the good piece using that. Maybe sand down that area on the good piece a little to account for clearance issues. Then I'll put my cardboard retaining piece over the clip and bond cardboard to cardboard using gorilla glue or a specific cardboard adhesive if I can find it (someone lmk if this is not a cardboard material).

On the front the nice lady in adhesives at the fabric store took one look and just said "Gorilla Glue" (apparently Gorilla Glue is the Miata of adhesives, always the answer). I'm going to try that on the warped rear and give it a few weeks. If it works take it off, sand it down, put them on my least favorite fronts. If it's still holding strong when car is back from paint, do so on my favorite front piece.

Good ideas or misguided?

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
348 Posts
I also have a piece separated on the sail panel on my 81, my idea once the weather warms is to drill a couple small holes in just the pressed paper, apply some adhesive to the holes and run in a couple small screws to hold the clip on to the panel. Once the adhesive cures everything should ( hopefully) be secure.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,451 Posts
Gorilla Glue is pretty amazing stuff. You have to let it set 24 hours for maximum strength.

When I installed Moleskin on my W210 wagon, several clips came off the door panels. Regular hot glue didn't hold. I recently got into PDR. The glue for pulling dents is a lot stronger (they come in different strength). I want to see how they do on the door clips, but the panels aren't loose so I haven't pull them off yet to redo them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts