Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
silver 1999 e430 sport with 88000 miles
43 Posts
I am working on my own headliner fix, put the the headliner back on, but am having issues installing the sunroof frame, the support for the headliner. I dont remember how I took it out :eek: . Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1999 E320 Wagon
13 Posts
Yacht Master, You say to "Unplug the wires to the rear view mirror and pull the mirror straight down.", however if I'm not mistaken, it looks like there are three screws that fasten the mirror assembly to the roof and I don't see where to access them to remove them. What holds the mirror in place, if its not screwed in?

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yacht Master, You say to "Unplug the wires to the rear view mirror and pull the mirror straight down.", however if I'm not mistaken, it looks like there are three screws that fasten the mirror assembly to the roof and I don't see where to access them to remove them. What holds the mirror in place, if its not screwed in?
Beef1337,

The rear-view mirror is held in place by a captured coil spring, it simply pops apart. The design lends to a breakaway safety feature.

·
Registered
2002 E320
20 Posts
thanks!

THanks so much! Looks like I could do it, but wow, what a process!
I did have my windows tinted 3 months ago. Over the last few weeks, I have noticed a small stain of the headliner, I thought maybe my son did that.......but makes sense that the goofs who put tint in got headliner wet or disturbed it in general. Fools! and they didn'y even do a good job on the tint! my headliner looks exatly the same as your pics!!! Arghhh!!!!
have a wonderful day, God bless!

·
Registered
Black 2002 E430 4matic with 130000 miles
41 Posts
thats great work. with some things, im all thumbs so i will leave this job to the professionals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Avant-garde in my mercedes W210 Car 2000 model vehicle passing through the pits at the back of sound coming from the ceiling attached to the ceiling of ceilings makes lots of noise in practice I wonder how can I have my place

·
Registered
W210
13,885 Posts
Oh God, I have the exact same problem and it is getting worse. I am dreading starting this project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The old fabric comes off quite easily, but the foam backing
is a huge mess.
View attachment 279583
Once the fabric was removed we cleaned what was left of old
foam and adhesive, took hours to get it smooth. This part was
important because I have decided to go with Alcantera with out
a foam backing so I did not want imperfections to show through.
View attachment 279584
Sunroof door cleaned up nice.
View attachment 279585
Here is the first glue, only did the large center part to start with.
View attachment 279586
This is the adhesive I used note High Temp, it is a contact cement
and requires a few minutes to tack.
View attachment 279587

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, thanks for posting the steps in this process. how did you clean and prepare the interior of the sunroof for the new headliner?

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,044 Posts
I've been behind the headliner but not to the extent that YachtMaster has. The OE foam is glued to the metal substrate
and over time, it weakens and the headliner separates. From my small repairs, you really need at least a 3M type
COURSE weave to 'sand' down and remove as much of the remaining foam from the metal before you try to apply new
adhesive. otherwise, you're simply applying glue to loosening, popcorn peeling foam...a poor foundation for any
prospective, long term repair.

Hopefully, YachtMaster will respond though he doesn't frequent here as much anymore

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been behind the headliner but not to the extent that YachtMaster has. The OE foam is glued to the metal substrate
and over time, it weakens and the headliner separates. From my small repairs, you really need at least a 3M type
COURSE weave to 'sand' down and remove as much of the remaining foam from the metal before you try to apply new
adhesive. otherwise, you're simply applying glue to loosening, popcorn peeling foam...a poor foundation for any
prospective, long term repair.

Hopefully, YachtMaster will respond though he doesn't frequent here as much anymore
Thank you. That’s what I was most interested to know. So it’s basically sanding with a 3m mesh - no solvents to prepare or clean the surface?
I haven’t yet removed the sunroof ceiling door yet maybe one of the next weekends. How long does it (the adhesive) take to dry? What kind of adhesive works well? I bought some but I’m not sure it’s the right stuff.

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,051 Posts
As Yacht Master hinted at the end of post #11... don't try this at home, kids. Remove the headliner yourself, but take it to a pro shop and have them replace the fabric. At a minimum, call a few local shops and ask what they would charge if you remove the headliner and bring it to them. You may find it's worth paying the experts.

If you attempt it yourself, plan on it taking many, many, many hours to do right... and you could end up either not being happy with the results, or doing it all over again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As Yacht Master hinted at the end of post #11... don't try this at home, kids. Remove the headliner yourself, but take it to a pro shop and have them replace the fabric. At a minimum, call a few local shops and ask what they would charge if you remove the headliner and bring it to them. You may find it's worth paying the experts.

If you attempt it yourself, plan on it taking many, many, many hours to do right... and you could end up either not being happy with the results, or doing it all over again.
Thank you. I understand. I’ve been to the body shop and they won’t do it. The only option they had was to replace it with another old one- which ( the car is 20yo) and another old one would admittedly be dry & fail) so this is the option- not fussy about it- just interested in replacing the fabric in a secure manner. I’ve reupholstered furniture but this is a very different process with metal and glue. Mostly need to know what to consider & basic process. I really appreciate the tips and details. Thank you

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,051 Posts
Body shops don't do this work. You need to contact an upholstery shop. The first problem is scraping off all the old foam, which is a nightmare. The second problem is getting the fabric to adhere without looking lumpy and/or wrinkled afterwards. Both are much more difficult than it sounds.

If you still go the DIY route, the posts earlier in this thread covered most of what you need to know. Keep in mind, there's a reason why you won't find a lot of threads on different forums showing how to DIY this. Most people happily pay a shop a few hundred bucks to walk out with a headliner that looks factory new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Body shops don't do this work. You need to contact an upholstery shop. The first problem is scraping off all the old foam, which is a nightmare. The second problem is getting the fabric to adhere without looking lumpy and/or wrinkled afterwards. Both are much more difficult than it sounds.

If you still go the DIY route, the posts earlier in this thread covered most of what you need to know. Keep in mind, there's a reason why you won't find a lot of threads on different forums showing how to DIY this. Most people happily pay a shop a few hundred bucks to walk out with a headliner that looks factory new.
I’m cautious about the undertaking- we live between a couple small towns - no vehicle upholstery shop - the body shop even tried to find someplace. That’s why he tried to find another to replace it entirely.
after you “sand” the old adhesive with all the crumbs - do you “wash” it with something in particular?

·
Registered
'02 E430 4Matic, '14 MB E350 Sport 4Matic, '01 BMW 740i, '16 Golf R, '17 Audi Q7, '10 Chevy Suburban
357 Posts
Terasaf, I've done this god-forsaken job on my BMW 740, including the A, B and C pilliars along with the sunroof panels.. I swore never again, but just recently my E430 headliner started to sag. I will likely do is I can't justify the cost otherwise on an older vehicle.
To first answer your question, you will want to use acetone to dissolve the old glue and foam from the hardboard headliner and metal sunroof cover, etc.. Scraping and sanding as much possible dry. 3M or similar abrasive pads, many absorbent rags and a fair amount of acetone will be needed.

YachtMaster did an impeccable job with a very difficult material (Alcantara) that does not stretch and has no foam backing. Don't go this route unless you have the patience of a saint or have a tendency to become suicidal. There are foam-backed replacement headliner fabrics that have a bit of stretch and that's what I'd recommend.. you can find them all online.

Next is adhesive. The best comes in gallon cans and can be sprayed with an HLVP gun.. that's the route I took. Otherwise, look for the best stuff that with the best high and low temp ranges. NOT a job you ever want to do twice, at least on the same car.. ever..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you very much! The acetone makes sense. Since we only need to replace the headliner on the sunroof I think it should be manageable. I hope I can do it (with help) during a weekend. is that reasonable?

·
Registered
'02 E430 4Matic, '14 MB E350 Sport 4Matic, '01 BMW 740i, '16 Golf R, '17 Audi Q7, '10 Chevy Suburban
357 Posts
A weekend yes.. but with diligent effort both days! Just be sure to have everything you need. Hopefully, you won't have any surprises.. old stuff likes to break.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just noticed you only seem to be doing the sunroof shade? I was thinking you were doing the entire headliner. Just the shade should be really easy. Search for specifics to remove the shade.. some clips and a process to be followed to not damage anything.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts