Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched high and low and cannot find a good FAQ or writeup on removing the headliner from my wagon. I must remove it to get the roof rails off.

I'm too deep into this now to not remove 'em; I know I'll hate myself every time I wash the car and see those mask lines.

I'm almost sure I'll have to replace it once it's out (fabric brittle, filthy) but I don't want to just go all out and shred it while removing it. If I can preserve it (or mostly) to stay off replacing it that'd be great.

I've got the header loose, over the doors, and the side edges of the sunroof. The trailing edge of the sunroof is giving me fits.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,971 Posts
Might need to remove the sunroof too i think.. Hopefully somebody knows more about this one....

·
Registered
1980 280CE; 1982 300CD
1,357 Posts
DP,

If you remove the panel that is above the rear-view mirror and sun visors, you will find some black plastic pins that look like thumb-tacs holding the headliner up near the windshield. Removing them may give you enough room to get to your rail mounts without tearing/delaminating your headliner.

Also, the headliner along the side edges of the sunroof is held on by glue, and is easily exposed by removing portions of the inside sunroof rails. It can be re-glued without changing the appearance, because the rails cover the glue. That should give you a lot of access...

FB

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FratBoy said:
DP,

If you remove the panel that is above the rear-view mirror and sun visors, you will find some black plastic pins that look like thumb-tacs holding the headliner up near the windshield. Removing them may give you enough room to get to your rail mounts without tearing/delaminating your headliner.

Also, the headliner along the side edges of the sunroof is held on by glue, and is easily exposed by removing portions of the inside sunroof rails. It can be re-glued without changing the appearance, because the rails cover the glue. That should give you a lot of access...

FB
my headliner is not glued at the side edges, it's got a hard plastic strip sewn in which is pressure fit inside under the rails. This slipped right apart after the header and the buttons were removed. I think I'm going to remove the actual sunroof sheetmetal to provide myself additional access around the sunroof aperture to get this thing apart, remove the gaskets then reinstall the sheetmetal so that the painter can get in and around the opening. This is going to be a real PIA but the end result should be very worth it.

Thank goodness headliners can be replaced relatively inexpensively if I screw it up on the way out.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Here ya go:

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 280CE 1973 350SL AMG
185 Posts
I replaced the headliner in my coupe last year. At the trailing edge of the sunroof there was a flat bar inserted through a loop sewn into the inside of the headliner. The flat bar was clipped into place using 4 spring steel clips attached to the bottom of the sunroof tray.
I removed the headliner at the back of the car first and worked my way forward, it was easy to locate and remove from the back.
Something I learned belatedly is that if you break one of the spring clips don't try and get away with using three, I have only one tiny rattle in my car and its that flat bar vibrating on the sunroof tray.
I have new clips but lack enthusiasm for the major dismantling required to get them in and I've found by opening the sunroof the slightest bit is enough to put pressure on the tray and stop the vibration.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
'79 and killbill - thanks!

Since I do NOT plan on removing the headliner past the trailing edge of the rear doors, I'll have to figure out if I can sacrifice those clips to loosen the liner then replace them when I reinstall.

I'm still thinking that removing the sunroof sheetmetal will provide me the access I need to detach the trailing edge of the headliner in the aperture pretty easily.

All this for 12 bolts. Argh.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update!

I removed the sunroof sheetmetal by removing the 8 bolts and 4 adjustable brackets that drop into the rails. I then pulled the sunroof door out through the top of the car.

This done, the trailing edge of the orfice was very handily exposed. I then was able to coax the headliner's hard hem out of it's 'grip rail' [for lack of a better term] then carefully fold the whole affair back and place behind the rear headrests and head of my cargo net. This done, the entire interior roof is exposed from the trailing edge of the rear doors forward, and I can see all of the bolts to drop the sunroof assembly/pan.

I'm going to drop the pan this week and remove any gaskets in the sunroof area that need replacing. I'll sand down the sunroof panel and it will be shot off the car, saving me a ton of double R&R for this stuff.

At this rate, I'll have the roof rails off by this weekend!

I should have some pictures up soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts