Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got up the nerve and unpacked my brand new headliner for my 71 280S. I was worried about getting it done without removing the screens but It took all day Sat and some of Sunday to complete the install with them in. The bows snapped in nicely and after applying the contact cement and folding back the interior screen gasket I cut and tucked the headliner in six inches at a time. I started in the center of the front screen then went to the rear stretching all the way. I am very pleased with the results although there are a couple of areas that are not quite tight enough. I watched a YouTube video on how to do this and the classic MOPAR they were using had a bow headliner that shrunk with a heat gun. This sucked up all the wrinkles nicely. Apparently the headliner I purchased from a vender in Holland is not a fabric that shrinks with heat. I am stuck with a few wrinkles but the headliner wrinkles along with a couple of small painting flaws are only memories of this year long restoration project.

·
Registered
1968 250SE S-Class. 1988 560SEC S-Class Widebody
823 Posts
great work, good way of looking at it, if we were to strive for perfection on these cars it would be a long long road. there will always be some things that we as owners notice but 99% of people will not notice it :)

good work on DIY!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts