Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I am putting this in the right place!

Took my wife's C230 home from the local car wash a few weeks ago...Backed it out of the driveway a few days ago and noticed in the rear view mirror that the headliner had become separated from the moulding area at the rear winshield. I noticed that the area that had failed was damp...thought that the car wash thang didn't help, probably that's what caused it.

Anyone here ever have this happen and if so, is there a fix for this that I might try?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Tony:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hope I am putting this in the right place!

Took my wife's C230 home from the local car wash a few weeks ago...Backed it out of the driveway a few days ago and noticed in the rear view mirror that the headliner had become separated from the moulding area at the rear winshield. I noticed that the area that had failed was damp...thought that the car wash thang didn't help, probably that's what caused it.

Anyone here ever have this happen and if so, is there a fix for this that I might try?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Thank You!

Tony:thumbsup:
Tony,

Best to post over here - w202 forum

also, here's one of many threads on this topic ( use the search bar top right )

16+ year old sedan - the glue and foam start to separate (sort of like one's hair falling out as you get older :) )

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1661013-headliner-repair-renew-98-c230.html

·
Registered
636 Posts
As you can see, this is a BIG job. This has happened on 2 of our 3 W202s. Lucky that we have a local shop that does these all day long. The guy mentioned that Mini-Coopers are notorious for this also. I paid about $500 for liner, sunroof and A,B, and C pillars.. Took about 2/3rds of a day. I brought the car in the night before so they could start first thing in the AM. They used generic material, a fuzzy like fabric. MB fabric is very expensive, hard to get, and not often in stock. The second car has the droop at the rear window and looseness at the vents in the sunroof. For the time being I use coffee bag clips on the sunroof and a flexible slat of wood (from a window blind) holding up the rear.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I replaced mine and I'm glad I don't have that ugly MB vinyl anymore. I'll take napped polyester over the old stuff any day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You all that responded to my original post-apologies to the moderator/administrator as I am re-learning this forum after a long absence.

A question about the wooden blind slat as a "holder-upper" for the hanging rear headliner section-how was it secured?

Thank You again!

Tony:beerchugr:

·
Registered
636 Posts
This piece of wood was about 2" wide x 5 feet and only maybe only a 1/16" thick. Very easy to cut to size. It is pushed into the gap between the molding/trim material and the ceiling above each rear window. It is cut long so the upward bow holds up the liner. I had plenty of slats to experiment with but if you only have one, cut and fit carefully. Cut it too short and it won't stay up.

This car is up north and I only see it a couple times a year, but the slat is still working perfectly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roger that Glenmore and thank you for the response!

I took a look yesterday to see what I might do to create your fix-did not like what I saw...now the material is not only peeling from the back but also all around the sunroof-not a pretty piocture!:crybaby2:

Think I will bite the bullet and look around my area for a professional upholsterer who is familiar with this .

Thank You again for the quick response!

Tony :beerchugr:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts