Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '94 C280 with 167k miles. The headliner needs replacement. I finally found an upholstery shop to do the job for a decent price but they couldn't get my sunroof open. The motor is working and the vent function works but it won't slide back so they said nothing could be done.

My engine mechanic advised me to leave it alone b/c once the sunroof is taken apart I'll be forced to pay whatever it takes to fix it. I agree that my money is better spent taking care of the engine at this point but I like the car and want to fix up the interior if I can.

Can the rest of the headliner be fixed without involving the sunroof? Any other bright ideas? The headliner is currently stapled to the roof in various places.

I also need new carpet for the driver's floor. There is a pretty big hole where my foot rests in front of the accelator. Where can I get the best deal on replacement carpet.

Finally, where can I get a good deal on wood veneer replacement for my dash?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,599 Posts
headliner can be fixed if the upholsterer is talented. but it is better if you remove the roof.

i would recommend buying your carpet off of ebay. else try autohauz or other sites online. you may be happy with basic beige color carpets found at most auto stores.

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
The interior trim parts are best to find at the boneyard or online auction.
I removed and reglued my headliner with gorilla glue. All the backing needs to be scraped as well as the headliner board, what a mess. Anyway if someone put staples in yours then it would be wise to replace the fabric with a plastic backed replacement material preferably the same color. I did not remove the sunroof but then again my opens fine, if I am not mistaken there is a manual crank tool? or not. There are 2 gaskets that are removed then there are clips that come out and the board is pulled foward.
You may find this prior post of interest and be able to find many more:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1487136-how-headliner-repair.html

Do what you want but I would save your money for things like ball joints, tune up parts, and other engine related products vs. the interior unless its really driving you nuts. B

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I have read all or most of the relevant posts on headliners but I'm pretty sure I'd end up w/a f**ked-up mess if I tried it myself.

My brother tried to force the sunroof but one side is either obstructed, broken or both. I considered using the manual crank tool but I thought I I might end up with an open, broken sunroof I'd have to pay someone to fix.

With respect to the talented upholsturer, I had to go to Houston (5 hours)to find the shop I tried b/c there aren't many shops where I live.

Bmeister, you're right. My money should go to keeping it running.

MB202 - I'll try your suggestion. I have looked for carpet at autohauz but all I found were floor mats.

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
yeah the sunroof if its stuck it has something stuck on the rollers. if the rollers have been forced after that then they have either jumped the track and jammed or broken and the roller assembly replaced. if the motor isnt doing anything check fuse, then check switch, if that fails try carefully to crank it open slowly manually by using the hand crank on the motor itself. the crank key comes with the car

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
btw iam driving w/o the headliner i am waiting for next year to buy a new headliner. redoing it will cost 250 a new one might be 400(With warranty though) the rollers weren't expensive when i replaced them. (The roller wore out and jumped the track for me ) total time doing the job was about 2hrs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts