Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300DT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 83 300DT - headlights are blowing out...put in new one worked fine driving home at night I turn on the hibeam and it blew out..both beams and the other side hi-beam went out as well, if I turn on hi-beam I get nothing..checked my fuses and they appeared fine? What could be causing this problem...never had one before?

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Do you know for sure that the headlights are working?

It could be the stalk has bad contacts leading to turn the high beams OFF when it's supposed to be ON. Spray some contact cleaner in there and see if this works.

Make sure you also check (remove, inspect, reinstall) the fuse also for proper amperage.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
One other thing to check - Make sure it's the bulb! I replaced one of my headlights recently and it went out a day later. Turned out it was the connection not to the bulb itself, but the plug socket just behind the housing on the inner drivers fender that needed cleaning. Sure did seem like it was just a bulb though! :surrender:

Dave aka Ghan

·
Registered
W108 250s '67, w123 280ce '77, w123 300d-t '85, w126 300sd '85', w140 s600 '94,w210 e230 '97, bug69
262 Posts
Had the same problem before and it turns out that the positive wire has been chewed by rodents and cause it ti contact the body of the car causing every bulb to bust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts