Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320,2006 E350
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very confused about xenon headlights....now are these the ones i see on the new maximas...whenever i'm driving on the highway and i see a maxima or an acura tl or a beemer..and it hits a bump i see the headlights go from like white to purplish and stuff...they look reeli hot r those xenons? if so what r bi xenons...and do all the new ML's come with it? or is it that they just come with the new headlights but not the actual xenon bulbs but just a regular bulb....if someone can answer those questions...ill be less confused about all of this. thank youu....and how much do xenon bulbs run you? thank you

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
ravioliiiii - 2/7/2005 11:12 PM

I'm very confused about xenon headlights....now are these the ones i see on the new maximas...whenever i'm driving on the highway and i see a maxima or an acura tl or a beemer..and it hits a bump i see the headlights go from like white to purplish and stuff...they look reeli hot r those xenons? if so what r bi xenons...and do all the new ML's come with it? or is it that they just come with the new headlights but not the actual xenon bulbs but just a regular bulb....if someone can answer those questions...ill be less confused about all of this. thank youu....and how much do xenon bulbs run you? thank you
Let me shed a bit of light on, well, your light questions .. LOL

Xenons, or HID's (High Intensity Discharge) lights are comprised of two items. A bulb filled with xenon gas that varies in color from 2000K-12000K (the higher the more blue, but then the higher the less the light is produced) most high end car companies use 4300K (BMW, Infinity, Lexus .. etc) but I believe 6000K is the best compromise in color and intensity (that's what I have on my ML) and a balast that ignites the xenon gas in the bulb. The kits run anywhere from $250 a pair to $750 a pair depending on brand and intensity etc. Some ML's come with Bi-xenons and some dont, it's an option and an aftermarket addition as well. Lastly Bi-xenons just mean the low beam and high beams are xenon lighting. I hope I helped instead of confused .. LOL.

·
Registered
2020 MB GLE 450 4MATIC, 2015 BMW M4
2,162 Posts
RE: Bi-xenons

MLOffRoad - 2/7/2005 8:50 PM

Lastly Bi-xenons just mean the low beam and high beams are xenon lighting. I hope I helped instead of confused .. LOL.
Specifically, the same light covers both low and high beams via a movable shutter, as opposed to separate lamps for each.

·
BenzWorld Detailing Guru
713 Posts
Another thing making lights look blue/purple/etc on the hit of the bumps is if they are using a projector. A halogen bulb shot through a projector can look blue/purple on the top edge of the beam. When the car hits the bump, the top edge hits ur eyes looking blueish, then settles back down flat to the normal halogen yellowish color.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts