Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why would mercedes put such DIM headlamps on $80,000 cars? i can barely see at nite. my brites are how my low-beams SHOULD be! any solution without going to xenons?

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no no no, theres nothing physically wrong with them. they are working as designed. they are just so dim compared to most other mb's i've driven

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic
102 Posts
Buy some hiper whites you will love them I think Sylvania makes them.

·
Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,293 Posts
Buy the original xenon lights. They are a bit expensive, but they turn night into day.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes SL R129
1,293 Posts
Storm. - 2/9/2005 10:28 PM

Aziz can I swap over the new ones (xenon) to my 1992 R129 with little problems?
Yes you can. There are many posts on this forum detailing exactly how it's done.

·
Registered
'91 300SL
28 Posts
It's very very easy to swap over factory lights to factory MB xenon lamps from the late models. I did it myself.

I've tried those "hyper white" or "HID" wanna be bulbs you see on ebay that sells for $10 a set... don't waste your time and money on that stuff. The only thing you'll get out of them will be dissapointment and maybe a positive feedback from seller.

I've also tried the Ebay aftermarket HID xenon bulbs/ballast setup (the ones with the phillips ballasts and 8000k bulbs) and although it's very very bright, the light pattern is all over the place. Too dangerous for oncoming traffic. I've since then sold that set on ebay for a loss.

I've now installed a set of new xenon mb factory hid housing lights on my '91 300SL and let me tell ya... night and day difference. If you don't want to spend the money on factory mb xenon, you could get the sylvania bulbs which are ok... but not even close to real oem mb xenon.

·
Registered
2005 C320k
69 Posts
Guys I have the same problem on my 1990 sl. Can some one kindly redirect me to any URL regarding the Sylvania bulbs?!

I looked for it but then I don't really know what does "Sylvania" is!

Thanks

·
Registered
1990 500SL
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i drive with my highbeams on all the time. the highbeams are how bright the lowbeams are on my mothers jaguar S-type. (non-xenon). no one seems to ever notice i have my highbeams on. i almost wonder if i need to have everything AIM'd

·
Registered
'03 CL500,& '07 GL450
227 Posts
URL for Sylivania Silverstar High Performance Halogen bulbs: http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

·
Registered
2005 C320k
69 Posts
thanx [;)]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts