Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

As the title suggests my headlights aren't working, i'm using fogs at the moment for night driving.

I've been down the route of checking fuses and the white connector behind the headlamp/indicator unit, there was a little corrosion on the block so i cleaned it up, but still no luck.

I do suspect the switch, but at £95+vat i want to exhaust all other options before i run out and buy a new one. Does anybody know what else i can check before i spend big bucks. Could there be a relay or something like that, i don't know if headlights would use relays.

Thanx in advance,

Gordon

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I've now been running around for about 6 months or so using my fog lights instead of dipped beam because i couldn't find where the fault lay.

I thought i had checked it all... bulbs, wiring, fuses, relays and i even had the headlight switch off and in bits but couldn't find the problem, one of the mechanics at Western Commercial in Glasgow (one of the few excellent MB dealers) even let me borrow a switch to find if it was a faulty unit, but nothing i did was working.

Until today that is.... i was surfing this wonderful forum when i spotted a post suggesting that the bulbs are not configured in the way i had expected.

Apparently, the big twin halogen operates the main beam and the fogs and the dipped beam is the single bulb that sits on its own at the top of the headlamp unit. I had assumed that the twin bulb was dipped and main beam, and that the single bulb would have been the fogs. Assumption...the mother of all f*** ups.

Guess what i found when i took out the single halogen bulbs.... both blown, and when i put a test lamp on them... both getting power when i switch on the headlamp switch.

And i went and spent twenty quid buying super bright TWIN halogens too, oh well my main beam and fogs are excellent, just need to go spend another small fortune on 2 HEADLAMP bulbs tomorrow.

What a :tool:

·
Registered
Previous Project = E30 Alpina --- 8 years later, Project V230
112 Posts
Apparently, the big twin halogen operates the main beam and the fogs and the dipped beam is the single bulb that sits on its own at the top of the headlamp unit. I had assumed that the twin bulb was dipped and main beam, and that the single bulb would have been the fogs. Assumption...the mother of all f*** ups.

Guess what i found when i took out the single halogen bulbs.... both blown, and when i put a test lamp on them... both getting power when i switch on the headlamp switch.

lol...you are not the only tool....I done exactly the same for the last 3 weeks until I read your post 5 mins ago and went out to confirm that yes, assumption is the mother of all...

Thank you sir, you saved me hefty a inspection fee from MD. better call and cancel that booking :D I owe you a pint if ever we meet! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
v-class dipped beam problems

On my Vito 118 the dipped beam on the drivers side (uk) ceased working - checked bulbs/connector but no joy. Eventually found blown fuse - 3rd down on Right Hand fuse block in streering column, 15amp, blown - replaced it and lamp now works. Also central locking had ceased working, but after i had removed and replaced black box that carries fuses on steering column - removed and reseated green relays (neither of which appeared to affect dipped beams) - reseated black box - central locking started to work, fog lamps also (up position) started to work.

Thanks to you all who have posted tips on this forum.

·
Registered
2001 Vito 110CDi
1 Posts
headlights

OHH WOW! thankyou from the bottom of my heart..ive been driven mad over this! If i had not come across this thread i would never have known the top bulbs were dip beam..once again thank you, i have already spent a day on this and you have saved me a pile of grief. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mercedes Benz Class 150A

Mercedes Class A150 Reg 2009. All my lights went out on a recent short drive in early dark morning. Car was left standing for about 14 hours. Lights came back on, on starting. Then, after about 5 minutes travelling they went out again. What's the problem - car has about 73000 miles and two owners, well maintained.

·
Registered
3 Posts
v-class dipped beam problems

On my Vito 118 the dipped beam on the drivers side (uk) ceased working - checked bulbs/connector but no joy. Eventually found blown fuse - 3rd down on Right Hand fuse block in streering column, 15amp, blown - replaced it and lamp now works. Also central locking had ceased working, but after i had removed and replaced black box that carries fuses on steering column - removed and reseated green relays (neither of which appeared to affect dipped beams) - reseated black box - central locking started to work, fog lamps also (up position) started to work.

Thanks to you all who have posted tips on this forum.
I had a similar problem on my 96 Vito with low beams on both sides not working when the lights where in the on position. When the lights where off and the engine was running the low beams worked because of the secondary relay that powers the lows beam automatically when engine is running (this was a requirement in my country, low beams turning on automatically when engine starts).

No fuses under the driver seat or under the steering coloum where blown and I switched around all the relays and found that none where broken. After a lot of headscratcing I found the problem to be the connection between the black relay/fuse box and the two upper fixed connectors under the steering column. In my case metal insert that the upper 10mm bolt screws into to fasten the relay/fuse box where loose. At some point it had been overtightened and spun in the plastic. I fixed this by glueing it back in with epoxy. The black fuse/relay box now has proper tension provided to the upper connectors by the bolt.

I know this is an old thread, but I leave this so the next guy don't have to fiddle around for hours needlessly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

I've now been running around for about 6 months or so using my fog lights instead of dipped beam because i couldn't find where the fault lay.

I thought i had checked it all... bulbs, wiring, fuses, relays and i even had the headlight switch off and in bits but couldn't find the problem, one of the mechanics at Western Commercial in Glasgow (one of the few excellent MB dealers) even let me borrow a switch to find if it was a faulty unit, but nothing i did was working.

Until today that is.... i was surfing this wonderful forum when i spotted a post suggesting that the bulbs are not configured in the way i had expected.

And i went and spent twenty quid buying super bright TWIN halogens too, oh well my main beam and fogs are excellent, just need to go spend another small fortune on 2 HEADLAMP bulbs tomorrow.

I just got a nice used 07 E350 , the only problem was the headlights had become discolored and I could barely see anything at night . I took the headlights out , and refinished them ,replaced the low beam bulbs and high beam bulbs w Sylvania's brightest whit bulbs . After getting them back in the car , I even hung the bumper back up so I could plug up the fog lights because I replaced the bulbs there as well , only the fog lights work ! No headlight , park or marker lights come on ! What have I missed ???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.