Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that when you drive with the headlights on then shut them off, shut the engine off and open the door to exit they pop back on for 15 seconds then turn off. Electrical gremlin?

I also nabbed a set of HIDs from pick n pull from a 98 but for some reason they shut off after awhile. The drivers side will go out first then the passengers side. If I turn the lights off then back on then they both come back to life only to do the same shut off cycle later. Then following everything up the aforementioned door issue and I am left scratching my head.

I am in the process of replacing the voltage regulator...not sure if that is causing it.

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
2004 S500 4Matic, 2018 Ford Expedition Max, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace S, 2016 BMW 750i
509 Posts
That is normal. It is a courtesy light to illuminate a path to your door.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
2,017 Posts
Regarding the HIDs shutting off, they draw more power than halogens. The retrofit procedure from Mercedes says to increase the fuse size one size for low beams. I think from 15 amps to 20, but don't hold me to it. You should be blowing fuses, but if you increased the amperage, connections or the relays might have high resistance, causing the HID ballast to shut down.

Jon

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding the HIDs shutting off, they draw more power than halogens. The retrofit procedure from Mercedes says to increase the fuse size one size for low beams. I think from 15 amps to 20, but don't hold me to it. You should be blowing fuses, but if you increased the amperage, connections or the relays might have high resistance, causing the HID ballast to shut down.

Jon
Thank you. I did swap fuses after thankfully reading here before getting them. I'm wondering if a relay is getting too hot.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I remembered last nite that there is also a light control module that has to be changed for HIDs, that sits behind the fuse box. I'll find particulars for you later today.

Jon

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Replace the lamp monitoring unit behind the fuse box with 1405420732. Your old one won't work with HIDs. That's the part number for sedans. If the car you got the HIDs from is still there, you can get one from it.

Jon

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replace the lamp monitoring unit behind the fuse box with 1405420732. Your old one won't work with HIDs. That's the part number for sedans. If the car you got the HIDs from is still there, you can get one from it.

Jon
thank you so much! i was worried I would have to go back to halogen. These cars look so darn good with HIDs

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little update. I got the newer part but still having the same issues. On both modules I noticed how the HIDs would come on in that blue hue then turn to a yellow before shutting off one by one. Also noticed how the bulb out indicator in the cluster lite up the second I turned the headlights on with this new module. My old one never did that (well the bulb out light would come on when the HID shut off).

I swapped bulbs and still the same thing.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
That's a new one on me. My guess would be the HID modules, but both of them going out at once would be odd. Check to see if you are getting full voltage going into the modules (NOT coming out!! ) If you aren't getting 12 volts, the modules could be powering down.

Jon

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good test. I probed the females with the headlight switched on (obviously module removed) and was getting 12+ and a couple high 11's with the car off and then 13.8/14 and high 12's with it running.

Strange......

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update to the update! The units themselves are getting a constant 12V. Once they shut off I pulled and tested connectors and it was still reading 12 like normal. Guess the headlights themselves are shutting down.

Ballast issue on both sides?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Update to the update! The units themselves are getting a constant 12V. Once they shut off I pulled and tested connectors and it was still reading 12 like normal. Guess the headlights themselves are shutting down.

Ballast issue on both sides?
That would be an extreme coincidence, unless they got over voltage in the donor car. Have you tried a new bulb?
I've had one unit not come up the first time I turn the headlights on. It starts to come on, then goes out. I turn the lights off and back on, and it always come up.
You might want to back probe the 12v connector and look at voltage when you turn the lights on. Maybe they are drawing too much current?
You don't happen to have circuit breakers in the low beam fuse slots by any chance, do you? I know you are supposed the increase the fuse amperage by 5 amps (15 to 20?) when you retrofit HIDs. If you have circuit breakers, they might not be big enough.

Jon

·
Registered
01 ML55, 96 S320
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update to the update to the update! Ordered some super cheap HIDs off and so far so good. We'll see what happens!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts