Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 E430 Avantgarde "Smaragdsschwarz"
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heya!
So I had the classic Mercedes headlight-went-crazed-yellowed type of problem on the old e430 99, so I thought I'd share what I went on to do (OBS, by no means is this a thread made to sell you a product, just sharing my experience)
I read some forums and on the net and read about something called Crystalview headlight restoration kit, it's aparantly available at wal-mart, since that store isnt available here in sweden I went on and purchased it on their website (- My Headlights are | dim | faded | foggy | yellow | cloudy).
I was really amazed at the results!
Anyway here is the before/after pics:

Before drivers side:

Before passenger side:

After Drivers side:

After passenger side:

Whole front after:

Just thought I'd share my experience with this product, worth every krona(swedish currency) I spent on this :). Made the look of the car entirely different - Like new!
/Majed

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
another crystal view convert. its a great product.

·
Registered
96 s320 and 97 e320
35 Posts
One of the reviewers on Walmart's web site commented about the nice clean look was completely gone after 6 months, back to yellowed and hazed. Any comments on this?

·
Registered
12 GL450
13,900 Posts
One of the reviewers on Walmart's web site commented about the nice clean look was completely gone after 6 months, back to yellowed and hazed. Any comments on this?
I actually started a thread about this. Yes mine only lasted about 9 months. The lifetime warranty is a sham. I couldn't find any phone numbers but followed the directions of the package and sent in my receipt as was instructed on the package. Never heard from them.

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
That's too bad. I got 2 seasons out of mine. For $20 I'm ok with that. They should stand by their warranty though.

·
Registered
2002 E320 Wagon
41 Posts
Yes.

The plastic lenses leave the factory with a UV-resistant hardcoat polymer layer. All plastic lenses have this. Sadly, it does not last forever.

Once you use a polishing compound kit (restorer kit), you remove whatever is left of the polymer layer. Not that it matters, that layer is doing little after a few years in the sun.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
You can buy UV blocker quite cheap at most Autoparts stores. I did mine probably 18 months to 2 years ago and it still looks good. Didn't use any thing fancy, just different grades of sandpaper and elbow grease. Finished up with some polish normally used on biking helmet visors and finally UV blocker.

·
Registered
C200 Elegance
32 Posts
Plastic Lens.

You can buy UV blocker quite cheap at most Autoparts stores. I did mine probably 18 months to 2 years ago and it still looks good. Didn't use any thing fancy, just different grades of sandpaper and elbow grease. Finished up with some polish normally used on biking helmet visors and finally UV blocker.
What about the 'toothpaste' method. Used as a rubbing compound.
So called UV protection probably a wate of time.

Joe

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,459 Posts
What about the 'toothpaste' method. Used as a rubbing compound.
So called UV protection probably a wate of time.

Joe
The toothpaste method used to work when polishing plastics. But that was when most toothpastes contained a fine abrasive. There may still be toothpastes like that, but the newer gel types definitely won't work. Any fine rubbing compound or polish will do same job. Probably cheaper than toothpaste too :)

The coating is there for UV protection, but also is a hard coat to protect the relatively soft poly-carbonate from abrasion. Not replacing it would be a mistake, I would think.

I could not find it locally, but next time I am in USA, I will try and pick up the product gurunutkins mentioned. It is after all made by people in the headlight business. Same procedure as most - sand off old coating and polish. But then apply a hard UV coating:

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/Pages/headlight-restoration-kit.aspx

·
Registered
1999 E430 Avantgarde "Smaragdsschwarz"
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found that the images arent working for some reason, Couldnt find a way to edit org post so here goes:

Before drivers side:

Before passenger side:

After Drivers side:

After passenger side:

Whole front after:

Regards

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,459 Posts
Found that the images arent working for some reason, Couldnt find a way to edit org post so here goes:

Regards
Looks like a good job. Hope it lasts.

Mine looked good after I did them, but they are now getting more cloudy. I didn't find a suitable UV clearcoat, but will use one if I do them again. Should really be the type that uses a UV light for curing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts