Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Am giving very serious thought about purchasing a W124 500E. I will need to change the headlights because the car´s been used in left hand traffic, read somewhere that the lights for the 500E were bespoken and not regular W124, but will regular ones fit or will there be gaps due to the 500E´s wider front? What are the differences?

Thanks in advance for shedding some light on the matter. :)

·
Moderately subtle
11,986 Posts
The "regular" W124's, at least here in the US, have dual beam headlights and the fogs next to them. 500e's have the brights where the fogs are on the other W124's, and the fogs under the bumper cover.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Fitment is 100% exact. Just the inner plastic housing is chrome plated & the high beams are located where the fogs would be on regular w124s. Gaps are all the same.

Kind regards,
Albert S.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it then that the regular lights are interchangeable with the special 500 E lights ? although it will not look exactly right and the trained eye can spot the difference?

Btw: Anyone knows if the 500E came with leather interior as standard ?

thanks

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
The trained eye cannot spot the difference. They are exactly the same except on the 500E lights, the inner (fog) light is a driving light. Like a super high beam. Their fog lights are mounted in the lower bumper valance area.

A regular W124 has the fog light next to (inner) the headlight. And no driving light.

Low beam and high beam are handled (on both) by the headlight.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
^^ All that, except that trained eyes will notice that the inner housing is chromed on the 036 headlights.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks both of you! Is it a matter of just putting the regular (non 500E) headlights in place and attach the connectors/cables and it will work straight away on the 500E ? Or will I need to make any modifications due to difference in the lights functions ?

Alternatively, where can I purchase a pair of right hand traffic head lights for the 500E,(1992) ? euro ones of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
davidiot
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing