Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one headlight working (drivers) and one sidelight passenger. I can't get both lights to work.

The top bulbs are new (the H1's) and the main bulbs are new (H4's) am I missing some other bulbs?

Also all fuses are fine.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Common Problem..... Don't panic

2 Headlamp bulbs each side-- 1 H4 1 H1

On the Back of the headlamp unit is a 6pin plug
-- the black rectangular connector on the back of the lampholder

Remove it

Remove Lamp Unit if you can

Clean The Connectors in both Lamp unit and Cable connector...... a grit blaster is best (I have one, most people don't) or failing that use a wire brush (ideally brass) you can get a set of 3 (1 steel 1 brass 1bristle) from most car shops.

Clean Carefully and Thoroughly.

Reassemble

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh I see. I cleaned where the sockets go onto the bulbs but didn't touch the black one..didn't know what it did!

Most cars just have the one that goes directly to the bulb don't they? This just seems to 'double connect' so the black on connects then wires come off that with connectors to each bulb? Overcomplicated if you ask me.

Thanks very much for the input, I shall have a bash tomorrow.

Jay

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
As I said its a very common problem on mercs, the advantage is being able to work on a complete unit on the bench in comfort and then put it in easily, the only downside is corrosion in the connector over a period of years.

Its actually surprising, when you reconnect, to see an increase in brightness over what you thought was a correctly working unit.

The other good thing on vito lamps, is that the lens is removeable.

This means you can fully clean it, inside and out, and replace the lens if it gets broken (a standard merc spare) as opposed to a very expensive complete unit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've got a fibreglass pen thing that I got from RS components years ago - it's brilliant for cleaning electrical connections - from what I remember it was pennies at the time. I've used it on quite a few of the electrical connectors on my V :)

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Good idea.............

Maplin also sell fibreglass cleaning pens............ just not something I think of as I tend to use a grit Gun with playpit sand, simply because I've got one... its easy and I'm lazy.

malcolm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts