Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing the headlight wiper arms and motor but I am stuck on how to remove the motor. Can I just cut the power wires to the motor and remove it?

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Depends on what type of headlights you have, the euro style or the standard... They have about the same mounting. 2 screws/bolts hold them on at the bottom of the headlight bracket. you'd have to pull those 2 before you can remove the motor. Also, DON'T CUT ANYTHING. If you wish to replace later, you'll have nothing to re-wire it with...

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,293 Posts
Hi wash_me,

I agree with 'Razz.

Were it my car, I'd disconnect the wiper motors, then seal up the harness plug connector with good electrical tape. After that, remove the stuff you're not interested in & save.This way ensures the car can be brought back to 'factory' without 'major' work. This way, the MB originality is preserved and you can upgrade/modify your MB. as is your right.. Do save the original parts.. in a zip-lock bag preferrably (labeled & w/ the date) save. Yup, sounds extreme......

Example: A dear friend of mine 'junked' a car in 1930. For nearly 60 years he saved all the electrical bits (generator, starter, switches, solenoid, & mechanical) gauges, the walnut dash, --- etc. in the attic of the houses he'd lived in, then gave me 'the pick of the litter' in 1989. The 82 year old Temp Gauge read exactly 212 degrees when its bulb was put into the boiling water on our stove, all those years later!

The above paragraph may sound a bit off today. The idea is the same though: should we choose to, we can be (& are) the custodian(s) for our wonderful W126 cars..... for future owners. I think that MB, given today's automotive environment, cannot reproduce the W126 experience for its customers, in relation to other manufacturers' offerings.

Off Soap Box. MBL

It gets worse. Any of the benzworld members own a (or) know a BMW 328 owner? http://www.bmwworld.com/models/vintage/328_mille_miglia.htm I've a set of original & good BMW/Bosch headlamp lenses which I'd part with.

Regards, MBL

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found out where to unplug it from the headlight, feel kinded dumb hehe. I got the trim pices off to body shop to fill the holes and repaint the trim.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
Did exactly that. This is a US 1987 560SEC with euro headlights installed and the wipers removed. I had the wiper holes welded up when I had the car painted.

You're gonna like the look!

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
WELDED!?!?!?[:O], Should've gotten some plastic hole fillers painted same color.. But it's your car, an I'm sure it looks WAY COOL. Want to see pics ASAP!!! somday I'll post some of my dimond in the ruff

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
Plastic hole filler painted the same color just wasn't good enough. We welded metal behind the hole and filled and painted the valence, off the car, when the rest of the paint job was done.

FYI, the paint job was done with pretty much everything removeable off the body and all painted separately, then sanded and polished. It took me three days to put it together again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts