Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1994 SL320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or at least I think…When I turn my lights on there is a constant whine that sounds like a pump. Any tips on how to reset or fix? Sorry if this was addressed elsewhere. I didn’t see it. Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Or at least I think…When I turn my lights on there is a constant whine that sounds like a pump. Any tips on how to reset or fix? Sorry if this was addressed elsewhere. I didn’t see it. Thanks!
Happened on my 97 SL320 last week. There are two pumps on the reservoir. One for the windshield washers and one for the headlamps. I unplugged and taped off the electrical connector nearest to the fender. In my case that required raising the entire reservoir a few inches so that the pump could be accessed. There is a bracket holding the reservoir that I loosened (removed) so that the reservoir could be lifted straight up a few inches to access the pump/electrical connector.

·
Registered
1994 SL320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! This will be my lunchtime project. Appreciate the insight. I’ll report back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you! This will be my lunchtime project. Appreciate the insight. I’ll report back.
FWIW the electrical connector is pretty much an interference fit with no "catch" on it. Pull (wiggle it) straight up and ensure that the pump itself stays in the reservoir with it's rubber grommet. Good luck.

·
Registered
1994 SL320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay just disconnected per instructions and it resolved. I’ll have to dig in more another time and try and actually fix it. Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
2009 CL63 AMG / 2013 GL550 / 1994 SL320
1,579 Posts
When you put your lights on and your windshield wipers are also enabled, the headlamp wipers are supposed to engage every 3rd or 4th time that your windshield wiper goes across the windshield

There is the pump on the washer bottle itself which can go bad (what shoots the fluid out onto the headlamp). Then there are the headlamp wiper motors which definitely do go bad eventually. Those are fairly expensive to replace; I'd personally just disconnect the electrical for both the wiper motors and the fluid pump

·
Registered
1994 SL320
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you put your lights on and your windshield wipers are also enabled, the headlamp wipers are supposed to engage every 3rd or 4th time that your windshield wiper goes across the windshield

There is the pump on the washer bottle itself which can go bad (what shoots the fluid out onto the headlamp). Then there are the headlamp wiper motors which definitely do go bad eventually. Those are fairly expensive to replace; I'd personally just disconnect the electrical for both the wiper motors and the fluid pump

Thank you for the information. I’ll disconnect the electric to the wipers tomorrow too. They work but seem unnecessary. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
2015 ML350
495 Posts
Dave,
it's the right side headlamp wiper motor. It's what cycles off the pump for the headlamps. Been there many years ago.

Reactions: Davidddeff
1 - 9 of 9 Posts