Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2004 G500 Tektit Grau with full jewelry | CLS63 Seats
177 Posts
Will report back with results.
OK. I imagine the results will be similar to what I've shared...I've been rocking JW's for more than two years and these EVO II's for most of this year.

They're great. Those are the rings that are needed and a bit of drilling is required but nothing that will make the truck depreciate....more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can see MUCH better now. Thanks for all the help. Install was pretty straightforward (even the drilling part).

Question: what should I use to plug the secondary(?) plug that goes into the smaller bulb of the stock headlight housing? The car is currently throwing two malfunctions, one on each side. Better yet, is there a way to disable the message?

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can see MUCH better now. Thanks for all the help. Install was pretty straightforward (even the drilling part).

Question: what should I use to plug the secondary(?) plug that goes into the smaller bulb of the stock headlight housing? The car is currently throwing two malfunctions, one on each side. Better yet, is there a way to disable the message?
Yes, they look good and help a guy with federalized halogens feel so much better about piloting a 3 ton vehicle around at night.

Well, you may have to do what I did. I left bulbs in the little plugs (they're the City Lights, standard on most M-B's for decades) and then zip tied them out of the way. At night, they light the ground a little bit underneath the engine. Not in a Fast and Furious way...just a little bit and if you aren't looking for it, you wouldn't even know.

Here's the thing with our trucks; most everything is connected with a module on it. Every bulb on the exterior of the truck is supervised by a module (not sure if one or independent...someone will say) so when a bulb is out, you'll get a notification in the info centre. I think it's pretty cool to have the tech that tells you WHICH one is out, even on something like these robust trucks. I'm waiting for it to tell me that it has a little itch and would appreciate some help one day.

Somewhat related to this, I'm having issues with my marker lights and license plate lights because I placed led bulbs in there without built in resistance. Of course, this throws 4 codes that I have to clear upon every start. I know...I know...

·
Registered
94 S500, 99 G320, 99 C280 Sport
1,128 Posts
Finally, after having the lights for way too long sitting on a shelf, installed them last weekend. Hands down one of the best upgrades that can be made to a G-wagon. (and this coming from a septic, regardless of what everyone was posting)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome thread Guys and the JW 8700 will be my next DIY project!

I apologize if this was already posted somewhere else but what about our Fog lights?

They seem useless and would like to replace our stock, Mercedes G-Class Fog Light LEFT.

I have a 02 G500 and I would like to pimp these out as well.

Do you have any advice with photos on which would work best for us that will install easy and not create any alerts?

Many Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts

I apologize if this was already posted somewhere else but what about our Fog lights?

Do you have any advice with photos on which would work best for us that will install easy and not create any alerts?

Many Thanks!
Thanks. They're hands down, the best outward change I made to my truck. I've worked on it a shit ton so that's saying something.

As for the foglights, I think the best route to go will be to have some custom brackets made and then find some LED's that are as close as possible to the same size. Shy of that, just get an adapter kit and get the facelift ovular ones from '07 on. They're much easier and less expensive to replace than the glass ones from the early W463.

·
Registered
5 Posts

They seem useless and would like to replace our stock, Mercedes G-Class Fog Light LEFT.

I have a 02 G500 and I would like to pimp these out as well.

Many Thanks!
As promised, I upgraded to the 8700s EVO2 and here are some pics..

I found a killer of a deal with the mounting brackets for only $29 !

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EIRQ2L6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I kinda had an issue though with the High Beams in that, it would not stay on!

I read in another site/thread that it could be the 'stalk' that is the issue?

I tried to pull and push the stalk but the lights will just come on for like a second or blink and thats it..

Let me know if you guys have any advice to fix this..

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey Gswag, I think I know what's up with your headlights.

When the 8700's or something similar go into Jeep's, they typically come with a capacitor to smooth the energy flow. I had those hooked up to my truck as well but the weird thing was that they seemed to "hang onto" the energy of the high beam signal. I know I'm not using words and phrases taught in Electrical Engineering courses but hey, I didn't go...so yeah.

When I actuated the stalk for high beam, they would come on fine. However, when I switched back to low, at least one of my headlights (usually driver's side) would stay on high beam. It would then flicker a bit and ultimately go out entirely. After a second or two, it would come back on in low beam. This drove me nuts of course. Beautiful truck suffering from boushit electrical issues that I instigated. It was worse when I used the optical horn as both lights would "keep the high beam signal" and then just flicker and switch off.

I eventually ditched the in-line capacitors and everything seems fine. It's only when I activate the optical horn at high frequency that I see issues now. Our trucks have modules everywhere, reading and reporting voltages, resistance and operation to the main computers. Think about it; the little info center not only tells you when a bulb is out but it can tell you exactly which bulb is out. I know many luxury vehicles perform this "magic" daily but M-B has shoved 130+ computers into the small G body to perform this little task. When we mess with one...well, expect to have to clear that message every single time you get in the truck. I took my LED bulbs out of the side markers because I was going to rub through my Up/Down steering wheel controls prematurely.

At the end of the day I think you'll agree that it is a rare moment that you either need or even get the chance to run the high beams now. They reach something like 1000m or thereabouts, and the los beams are around 400m. That's lots of US oz or leagues under the sea of whatever obscure measurement you use for distance.

Frickin enjoy the mod that will bring you immense peace of mind at night and actually makes our trucks safer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
anyone upgraded their headlight with 7" Morimoto Super7 bi-Led ?
Looks like better and cleaner output than Trucklite and JW Speaker

·
Registered
177 Posts
Omg no...

I don't have my truck anymore an usually just read the comments when I get a notification about this thread but I was intrigued.

I looked at the headlights you mentioned and had to keep looking at pictures to make sure I saw what I did. It appears that the bezel area with the angles that lights up and "looks cool" is completely OPEN?!

I cannot imagine trying to live with a design like that anywhere outside of infinite space where there is no weather or bugs to fill it up with earth detritus and inevitably rust out.

Plus...IIRC, the G needs a bucket or ring to mount and aftermarket 7" and I can't help but think it was open into the fenders behind the bulb itself...not sealed like some of the Jeeps I saw during a cursory Google search.

Unless you want forced air ram induction into the fenders or have a penchant for cleaning and swearing, avoid. Avoid.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Omg no...

I don't have my truck anymore an usually just read the comments when I get a notification about this thread but I was intrigued.

I looked at the headlights you mentioned and had to keep looking at pictures to make sure I saw what I did. It appears that the bezel area with the angles that lights up and "looks cool" is completely OPEN?!

I cannot imagine trying to live with a design like that anywhere outside of infinite space where there is no weather or bugs to fill it up with earth detritus and inevitably rust out.

Plus...IIRC, the G needs a bucket or ring to mount and aftermarket 7" and I can't help but think it was open into the fenders behind the bulb itself...not sealed like some of the Jeeps I saw during a cursory Google search.

Unless you want forced air ram induction into the fenders or have a penchant for cleaning and swearing, avoid. Avoid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good point.
too bad because it looked like the cleanest output i’ve seen around, compared to JW Speakers and Trucklite. And i’m not trusting anyother knockoffs widely available on ebay.
There is still the Morimoto Sealed7 maybe

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good point.
too bad because it looked like the cleanest output i’ve seen around, compared to JW Speakers and Trucklite. And i’m not trusting anyother knockoffs widely available on ebay.
There is still the Morimoto Sealed7 maybe
I had the JW Evo II's and their pattern was unreal. Super sharp, clean and true for hundreds of meters. I think I used high beam about 5 times in the four years I was using them.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,986 Posts
Agreed, the JW Speakers have a very good distribution. I used the Pilot/Nolden headlights. They were for all intents and purposes just as good, didn't look weird, and were about 1/3rd the price. Not sure if they are still available.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts