Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1999 G500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1999 G500 needed a headlight upgrade, badly............. So after patiently waiting and trying to find the best deal possible I found some very slightly used JW Speaker evo 2 headlights on Craigslist and got them for a steal compared to what they were going for brand new. Thanks to everyone on this blog for the great advice!!!! I'm gonna try to post some before and after pictures from my phone, I hope it works......... Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 G500 Tektit Grau with full jewelry | CLS63 Seats
177 Posts
Well, I'm a fan, obviously.

You'll LOVE living with these. For the first while, you'll find the difference remarkable when compared to the old men holding candlesticks that these behemoths came with.

Then, you'll begin to relax at night when piloting a 3 ton truck around with the sometimes squirshy braking feel.

Welcome to the club.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Then, you'll begin to relax at night when piloting a 3 ton truck around with the sometimes squirshy braking feel.
Could it be that the "squirshy braking feel" you're experiencing is coming from the non-standard over sized wheels on your truck?

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 G500
59 Posts
I'd like to do the same upgrade. What exact mounting hardware did you buy, and is there anything else to acquire besides the JW Speaker lights themselves? I read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/2498801-led-headlights.html but I'm still confused.

Was it this?: Mercedes G-Class Headlight Adaptor Ring.
Or this, but drilling required? JW Speaker 8700 Single Light Mount Bracket - Drivetrain America

Thanks in advance.
You need the Rings or some sort of rings to mount the lights. I posted the actual part number in the other thread.
Search for them online, you can find them for half that price. You also need to account for the Parking Light that's in most G's.
What year is your's?

Keith

·
Registered
1999 G500
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@relapse1111 my 1999 already came with the the headlight adapters with the original headlights, so all I had to do was remove the original headlights out of the adapters and replace them with the JW speaker headlights. No drilling required, just a phillips screw driver, and I truly couldn't be happier. The JW's exceeded my expectations and are 100 times better in functionality and looks compared to the old outdated originals. What year G class do you have? I don't know if the post 2000 models are as easy mine, good luck let me know if you need any help.

@TedCorp thanks for the advice, part of my decision was based on what you had wrote a while back in different thread, and I'm also now thinking of removing my spare tire because yours looks really good!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd like to do the same upgrade. What exact mounting hardware did you buy, and is there anything else to acquire besides the JW Speaker lights themselves? I read http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/2498801-led-headlights.html but I'm still confused.

Was it this?: Mercedes G-Class Headlight Adaptor Ring.
Or this, but drilling required? JW Speaker 8700 Single Light Mount Bracket - Drivetrain America

Thanks in advance.
You need the Rings or some sort of rings to mount the lights. I posted the actual part number in the other thread.
Search for them online, you can find them for half that price. You also need to account for the Parking Light that's in most G's.
What year is your's?

Keith
I have a 2003. I searched for part #477 941 050A and from what I've seen the part is discontinued and aren't sold anymore.

Should I just suck it up and buy the rings from fourbyfourclub or are there no other options?

·
Registered
94 s320 gas
56 Posts
surprised theres not more leds aftermarket for mercs was thinking a way to turn rear reflectors on w140 sclass into brake lights with led s.just wrap clear lens with red brake tape

·
Registered
177 Posts
Could it be that the "squirshy braking feel" you're experiencing is coming from the non-standard over sized wheels on your truck?
Nope. Year round when I have the 18's on as well. I just have to adjust my head. I hop from this to my ZHP and back and when I think I've pressed the pedal enough I have to push again.

I accept what a G is and know the difference, but something in me wishes for more feedback in the pedal. Then why would that have feedback when none of the other inputs offer it, right?

·
Registered
177 Posts
So, barring any surprises from the other party, it looks like I'll have an upgrade coming for the headlights this month. I'm going from the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution's to the 8700 II's.

My current headlights will be available because I don't have two Harley Davidson's to put them in...nor will I ever.

If someone is interested in a huge upgrade from their stock halogens, then send me a note. It will be up to you to accept that you are buying used lights and come from Alberta...we rock the roads up here, but that said, the acrylic they use for the covers is STRONG and looks better than my windshield. Big surprise, right? I'll grab a close up shot of them if there's enough interest in them.

Have a look at the pics I've included above and you can see how they look on Gwen.

I know this isn't a marketplace thread but it still seemed like the right place to mention something.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, it's the second post in this thread...one pic shows the front pretty well.

I cannot part with the rings. If you're dead serious, I can find and send the rings with the headlights.

·
Registered
G class 400cdi MY2001
126 Posts
can you still adjust the beam with this headlights?
where will the moving screw from the adjustment fit the mounting ring?

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
The rings have 2 adjustments screws (Left/Right & Up/Down). Really easy to adjust.
You see one of the adjustments in this pic.

Mercedes G-Class Headlight Adaptor Ring.

Keith
I'm pretty sure that he's asking about the Euro beam height adjustment, which is done from the dash; and is not available in North American models. And the answer to that question is "No".

·
Registered
177 Posts
can you still adjust the beam with this headlights?
where will the moving screw from the adjustment fit the mounting ring?
The rings have 2 adjustments screws (Left/Right & Up/Down). Really easy to adjust.
You see one of the adjustments in this pic.

Mercedes G-Class Headlight Adaptor Ring.

Keith
Yes, you can still adjust them by a few screws on the ring. IIRC, the JW Speaker rings allow you to move it in a triangle fashion, so you can adjust it side to side slightly as well. Please don't ask for a description of how as my fingers fail me...it just works, m'kay?

Please don't pay $290USD for the rings...my god...here are the ones I used.

·
Registered
2005 G500
59 Posts
I'm pretty sure that he's asking about the Euro beam height adjustment, which is done from the dash; and is not available in US models. And the answer to that question is "No".
Yes, you can still adjust them by a few screws on the ring. IIRC, the JW Speaker rings allow you to move it in a triangle fashion, so you can adjust it side to side slightly as well. Please don't ask for a description of how as my fingers fail me...it just works, m'kay?

Please don't pay $290USD for the rings...my god...here are the ones I used.
Dutch,

I keep forgetting the Euro G's are different.

Keith

·
Registered
53 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts