Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever replace the headlight switch before? The other night I was out and I turned the headlights on and pulled the switch outward to turn the foglights on. The switch got jammed on and wouldn't budge. Pushing and pulling didn't turn the fog lights off. After messing with it for a min I eventually got them off and all the other headlights and running lights off. Later on I went to turn them on again but the switch was stuck in the off position and wouldn't move. I tried pushing and pulling and twisting to no avail and now the switch basically just rotates around and the lights randomly come on, but I can't get the headlights and running lights on at the same time. CRAP.

So yeah, is this easy to replace? I'm trying to find a replacement switch now.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
The switch is not too hard to replace but you do have to remove the trim panel under the steering column or at least lower it a bit.
First you pull the knob straigh out until it pops off the switch shaft.
Then you'll see a big nut that secures the switch to a tab on the instrument panel. Remove the nut using a socket or a big pliers.
Then pull the switch bezel outward at the switch area and disengage the tabs at the steering column end. Use care to avoid breaking the tabs.
Pry the plastic trim panel around the ignition switch outward and remove it.
At this point you'll be able to see the screws that hold the dash trim panel to the dash.
Remove the screws and lower the panel a bit to sneak the headlamp switch out and off its connector.
I may have missed something and hopefully someone will chime in.
I was replacing the steering column in this pic so there's a whole lot more apart but you can see the headlamp switch and how it's mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, thank you very much. Just the picture helps greatly. I think I located the switch at a local dealer too for $60. I was messing around with it last night and was hoping I would be able to get it out with damaging the trim.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
The switch shell has 2 ears that fit through the dash mounting hole. Kind of like the oil filler or gas cap. You twist the headlamp switch 90 degrees in order to remove it from the dash tab.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i got the new switch and got it installed. Wasn't too difficult. Would have been helpful if I knew the connector on the end just pulled off. I saw little tabs so pried them all lose, then it turns what i pried off was actually a guide for a the wires onto the switch. After I had accidentally pulled all of the wires out of the guide I couldn't get them back in it because of the tight space and no slack on the wires. So basically i just didn't use the plastic guide thing and just connected all the wires one by one to the switch and reinstalled. Everything works now.

Turns out my headlight was out too and I didn't know. Either that or when I was connecting the wires, one of them shorted onto another wire... maybe that blew the headlight. Don't see how it would have though. Anyways, yeah i got it all hooked up and turned them on and noticed only one headlight came on. So had to diagnose that. Just need a new bulb now and are good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts