Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have just bought a MK 1 Vito 2.3D and don't know much about the electrics on these, also there doesn't seem to be any DIY manuals on them. My problem is that when I put my dipped headlights on the top bulb lights up and when I put my front fog's on my bottom bulb light's up. Are these the wrong way round? as the bottom bulb is the headlight bulb. Can anyone help please as I cant see how this can pass an MOT which is due shortly.
Thanks

·
Registered
Vito 108cdi Modified, VNT, , IC, remap, 3" intake & exhaust, 19" wheels, slotted rotors, etc.
258 Posts
Hi there,
Welcome.
Yeah, that sounds about right!
The Vito headlight has one H1 globe, one H4 globe, and a small 5 watt parking light.
The low beam is he H1 globe (single filament) on its own.
The high beam is the H4 globe (dual filament, highest wattage).
The fog is the H4 globe (dual filament, lowest wattage).
I know it sounds weird, but it is what it is.
Cheers.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi DeVito, thanks for clearing up the puzzle however does seem strange, is there any other anomalies I should look out for?
Thanks again, found this site very useful
Regards

·
Registered
Vito 108cdi Modified, VNT, , IC, remap, 3" intake & exhaust, 19" wheels, slotted rotors, etc.
258 Posts
Anomalies?
Like what?

Mercedes Vito. Making mechanics out of owners since 1998!😜

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, sorry for not getting back sooner, anomalies like out of the norm, I discovered the other day that the ignition system is run by an air system and connected to the headlight adjuster, only when I re-connected a vacuum pipe, so stuff like that, also where can I get a wiring diagram for the Vito as there seems to be no aftermarket manuals for them.
Regards

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,856 Posts
It seems appropriate to continue on this thread...

My work sent me our old 113 2001 W638 which was recently pulled from our warehouse after storage.
The headlights seemed strange as the cast pattern was flat and it was somewhat dim. Turning on the fog lights I get that slanted shape light pattern as low beam supposed to be. High beam makes both filaments in H4 globe light up (followed by the globe glass crack)
It took me a while to understand that H4 low beam filament dubs as fog and that only high beam comes from H4 (which makes sense - high beam runs simultaneously with H1 low beam for total 55W+60W).

Now, I have no clue on the previous mechanic works and it is possible that someone swapped the wires from H1 and low beam H4 thinking that High/Low beam comes from H4 and fog from H1 (as the most common setup).

Can someone please advise the correct colours on the headlight globes sockets?

BTW, the darn thing is petrol and it goes like Ben Johnson on steroids... I kinda fell in love with it and contemplate keeping it after we have no work need for it. Needs a lot of TLC and that is my stress reliever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts