Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with my driver side headlight.

The lens was cracked so we replaced it. We went to adjust the height but the thumb screw for the vertical adjustment is spinning and is not turning.

Is there anyway to fix this without replacing the entire housing?

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Try taking the headlight out of the car, put it on a bench, dismantle everything you can and see if you can glue the broken pieces back together.

Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so basically take it apart and see what is broken. Anyone have any idea how those thumb screw adjustments are secured to the housing? Is it threaded?

This might just be enough to push me into a Euro conversion.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
That's the spirit! That's a good excuse as any....if you are married, remember to tell the wife that! But honey, I had to replace them with euros. Why? Because new SEC OEM lights are about $500 apiece, so I saved money buying the used euro set! Ha....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Still, you need to spend money to fix it either way (you don't tell her you can JB Weld it like Axel suggested and then sell the US lights!) and you found a way to spend "less" and upgrade the look of the car (not to mention the lighting too - yes, she will be able to see better at night)! Win-win. Kind of like how women shop when things are on sale, right?!

One man's twisted logic! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still, you need to spend money to fix it either way (you don't tell her you can JB Weld it like Axel suggested and then sell the US lights!) and you found a way to spend "less" and upgrade the look of the car (not to mention the lighting too - yes, she will be able to see better at night)! Win-win. Kind of like how women shop when things are on sale, right?!

One man's twisted logic! :)
I am with you on that one. I believe that the housing inside is cracked and I wiill not be able to repair it. :D So the Spaving Euro pitch will begin.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,252 Posts
Good luck.
One of the best lines I heard: 'Women will never tell men what they really want, but reserve the right to get totally peed off if they don't get it.'

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
I had the same problem, good thing it was the one I could wedge a screw driver on to hold it while I unscrewed the thumb wheel. If you can't reach it, maybe you can use pliers to hold the threaded part, and remove the nut. I gluded it back together, yet did not put the nut back on, holds OK.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the same problem, good thing it was the one I could wedge a screw driver on to hold it while I unscrewed the thumb wheel. If you can't reach it, maybe you can use pliers to hold the threaded part, and remove the nut. I gluded it back together, yet did not put the nut back on, holds OK.
Yeah I will have to get it apart to see what is really broken in there. Thanks to markusfmeyer I have a back up plan if the wife does not go for the Euro Upgrade. Non-essential spending is being cut back in my world. We upgraded the stereo already this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts