Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question:

I have read a few of the posts on here about the multitude of headlight options available on the MB. Unfortunately, I don't have $1,000+ to spend to upgrade my headlights. The lenses on my 97 E320 are extremely cloudy on the inside. Is there maybe a combination of bulbs and new lenses that I can use to improve the look and performance of my lights without it costing an arm and a leg?

Also, is it fairly easy, even for someone who is as little mechanically inclined as I am, to change out the lenses?

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,720 Posts
You can spend $250 to $350 for a set of projector headlights or there is a polish that I have seen to clear up older headlight lenses.

· Registered
1999 E300 TURBODIESEL
3 Posts
Usually the E-Class OEM front head light/lamp units get whitish and scratched on the outside. Rock chips and age (i.e. wind deterioration, etc.) causes this problem. If this is the case with yours, I would polish them up to "as new" standards - instead of replacing them. You'll get at least another nine years (or so) of life out of them! This would be the MOST cost-effective way to correct the problem - not to mention the numerous safety advantages! Good luck! Please visit the link below – as a “suggested” solution to this problem:

http://www.lensrenew.com/lens_repair_headlight.htm

· Registered
97 e320, 94 sl320, 99 mustang, 90 & 91 300zx twin turbo
91 Posts
you can always buy the lens, go on ebay, tons of them around. they are not worth cleanning, just replace the lens, i think you can get a pair for $100.

· W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,937 Posts
interior-magic said:
you can always buy the lens, go on ebay, tons of them around. they are not worth cleanning, just replace the lens, i think you can get a pair for $100.

How to replace it, have you done it ? reason why i ask is that my lenses has some stone/rock chips and thinking of replacing it instead of repolishing. and is this apply also to xenons right?

Thanks,

Joseph

· Registered
91 Posts
this is the easiest thing you can do to the e-class, 1st you need to remove the headlight, should be 4 screws, one on top, one on the headlight surrounding or bezel, 2 on the lower front section of the housing, you can't miss them. pull out the headlight and you will notice the tabs that hold the lens cover, undo those and you're done, it should take you no more then 10 minutes to do this, the procedure is the same for xenon and halogen lights. since it is your 1st time unplug the battery and incase you have xenon lights. good luck and let me know how it turn out

· Registered
91 Posts
Aufrect 55, if you are not that far from diamond bar area, you can stop by this weekend or anytime you get the lens and i'll replace them for you, i'll be working on my sl all weekend long and i be glad to give you a hand.

· W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,937 Posts
interior-magic INFO.

interior-magic said:
Aufrect 55, if you are not that far from diamond bar area, you can stop by this weekend or anytime you get the lens and i'll replace them for you, i'll be working on my sl all weekend long and i be glad to give you a hand.
ei interior-magic where you exactly located you can post/ pm me the add. and your no. so we could arrange a time for tom. thanks

· W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,937 Posts
interior-magic said:

I just sent you a PM

· Registered
91 Posts
i didn't get the pm, my wife told me you call but she wrote the wrong # down. she said you were in Arizona.

· Registered
221 Posts
Before you getting yourself a set of new lens.
Try this first....

Get 1000 grid sand paper ($2.90 for 5 sheets)
And 2000 grid sand paper ($2.90 for 5 sheets) from Auto store or Homedepot.

1. Start w/ 1000 sand paper with water (must sand it wet)
2. wash off~
3. proceed w/ 2000 grid w/ water (must sand it wet and lots elbow grease and make sure all surface feel smooth)
4. Wash off~
5. Apply Meguiar's PlastX ($5.25 a bottle at Pepboy)

Attachments

· Registered
221 Posts
Aufrecht 55 said:
Thanks no clue for posting that, I have to admit I'm kinda scared on the idea of sanding the lenses myself but I'll try that
I learned this method (wet sanding) from the Professional lense restorer. I would recomment you take the headlight housing and gasket down before proceed. (so you wouldn't accidently scratch your paint)

1000 grid is for really bad discoloration, and yellowish part. (don't over do it)
2000 is so fine, you really need to wet your sand paper before proceed. ( and keep it wet at all time)

What's the worst case? You are going to change those lens right?
You might be surprise little elbow grease might save you some money.

p.s. take the before and after shot..

· W203, W210 Moderator
E55 ///AMG
6,937 Posts
no clue said:
I learned this method (wet sanding) from the Professional lense restorer. I would recomment you take the headlight housing and gasket down before proceed. (so you wouldn't accidently scratch your paint)

1000 grid is for really bad discoloration, and yellowish part. (don't over do it)
2000 is so fine, you really need to wet your sand paper before proceed. ( and keep it wet at all time)

What's the worst case? You are going to change those lens right?
You might be surprise little elbow grease might save you some money.

p.s. take the before and after shot..
Since I have no discoloration to the lenses but have stone chips, I believed I should use the 2000 or higher. I'll keep you posted when I get a chance to sand it and before and after photo. Thanks again.

· Registered
221 Posts
knyaz said:
i will definately be wet sanding mine this weekend, the pictures above turned out very nice, hope i can get mine like that, thanks for the info
When you using 1000 grid, do NOT over do it.
The above picture are from my 97 model.
(yes, almost 10 year old lens, sevear oxidation on the first pic)

You can just go straight to 2000 and apply PlastX.
(After PlastX, if you don't see improvement, you can RE-DO 2000 couple times)

Definitely take Before/ After shot~

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.