Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 E350 P1, P2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just finished up my Christmas break project of replacing my W211 headlight lenses and upgrading the original equipment xenon bulbs. I thought someone else might be interested in a few details. That plus I'm kinda proud of the result.

My car is a 2007 E350 and came equipped with both P1 and P2 packages, which is relatively rare. That included the xenon lights, but since I drive a lot in the pre-dawn hours on a rural highway I've been struggling to see. The original lenses had oxidized over time and grown quite cloudy, and I gather the xenon bulbs lose performance over time as well. Since I'm now up to 95k miles and ten years old it was time for the job.

Removal of the fender liners was straightforward on the driver's side but on the passenger's side in my car it was more difficult as there is a holder for some electrical wires toward the midline of the car. I couldn't see how to take this off without risking breaking the attachment, so I just undid the front portion of the fender liner. The underbody panel was simple. As to removing the bumper cover, I found that the toughest part was removing/reinstalling the side bracket that holds the side of the bumper cover to the fender above. Those babies were tight, and when I reinstalled them I found there was a hose (maybe for the headlight washers) interfering with lining up the part. I also found that somewhere along the way I lost one of the clips that acts as a nut to allow me to thread in an attachment bolt for the headlight unit. I worked around that with a little ingenuity and a trip to the hardware store.

One note for oem xenon: these headlights come with headlight washers, which I never use. What you'll discover is that there's a clip holding the headlight washer to the headlight lens, and this can easily be removed by undoing a silver Philips head screw and pulling the washer jet off. I didn't notice this on the first light I did and ended up breaking the clip.

For lens removal I used the oven baking method, so preheating to 200 degrees and baking for ten minutes. That works pretty well but on one headlight I had to put it back in for a few more minutes. If I had it to do again I'd buy a big tube of windshield sealant and use a caulking gun to lay down a nice thick bead. I've got my fingers crossed that I've got these well sealed, but if not that's how I'll do 'em over again.

For parts, I got the polycarbonate lens replacements on eBay for $40/pair, plus $10 shipping. Upgraded bulbs are Osram Night Breakers (the high end bulbs) from some online outfit, $148/pair. Installation is straightforward, but what is NOT straightforward is which bulbs fit the car. Many sites post WRONG bulbs for this car, so to set the record straight Mercedes W211 oem xenon lights take D1S bulbs for the 2007 model year (and I presume for later models as well). This despite seeing many websites telling me to get D2S, which would NOT have worked.

For instructions, there are several good YouTube videos. There are a couple of the ones that don't really show you the steps but there's also one by CarDOlogist that's pretty good on the subject, at least as far as taking the headlights out of the car. As to the baking method of lens removal, this is a pretty generic topic so most of the videos will be helpful. One tip I'd pass along is that the sealer used by MB comes off like warm bubble gum from a sidewalk, so you have to be careful not to let it get on the inner headlight's chrome. It won't come off easily, and if it does it can peel the chrome. I have a couple of little spots where that happened on mine but they're really not noticeable.

Pics are attached. Hope this info is helpful to someone else and thanks to those of you here who provided good advice!

Attachments

·
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, 2005 E320 CDI, and 2006 S500 4Matic
7,020 Posts
Good work. That left one looks so much better.

Some of the advice you'll see on this forum is for cars that come with stock halogens. This was the case for my '05 car, so I did use D2S bulbs (Osram 66240 CLC "Classic"), because the replacement Morimoto EVOX-2.0 projectors that I used are D2S.

In your case, though, since you're refurbishing factory HID assemblies, I assume you're also using the stock D1S ballast, which means a D1S-friendly projector. Which projector did you settle on? Might help others in your situation.

·
Registered
2007 E350 P1, P2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey. I didn't mess with the projectors this time around but that's always an option down the road I guess. I read some stuff suggesting that the OEM projectors weren't the greatest but I figured that was something I could address at a later date.

I will say, though, that the better (and newer) bulbs made a pretty big difference, as did clearer lenses.

·
Registered
2008 R350 - Wife's ride 92&93 190e Project & parts car 2011 F150 Daily
378 Posts
Glad to see a write up on the Ebay lenses. I've been thinking of doing this to my wagon but was hesitant because I could not find any info on the fit of the lenses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did mine too. 2007 Wagon with lens swap + clear lens up grade + D1S PIAA 6000k. Already almost 4 mths and it still looks super clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 E350 110k, 2000 E320 143k, 1983 380SEC 240k
1,060 Posts
Adding to this thread with the aim of assisting future searchers. I replaced the headlight covers on our '08 E350 sport (facelift). Used cheapo covers from eBay - I mean, cheap!

For sealant I used Sikasil GP Black Silicone Sealant/Caulk, also from eBay. It is good for high temperatures. Easy to apply with a regular caulking gun.

This video was useful:
Other instructions attached.

Some comments: Removing the front bumper and headlamp assemblies is fairly easy, but tedious and time-consuming. "Baking" the headlamps at 170 deg F to remove the old covers and sealant is the way to go. Removing old sealant from the groove is a pita, but be patient. Once installed, I gave the new covers a coat of 3M UV protectant from the local auto parts store.

A massive difference for some time and effort, but not much cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
31 Posts
Hey guys i need your help. I got a 2007 e350 pic below. The headlight assembly is new but they are utter trash. I dont remember the brand but i think it was trw or trq or something they are Chinese and for some reason the idiots thought it was a good idea to make one side shine up like an oval on the passenger side and the driver side shine flat. It looks so stupid and pisses me off because it has a blind spot and i cant see sometimes where i need too.

I need to know what size projector the low beam and high beam are because im going to try and order custom aftermarket projectors for it and install them myself. I was thinking of getting one with the demon eyes.

Please let me know as thats been my only road block ordering, i dont know the size or type i need. I want to make sure it fits when i take the other ones out.
Vehicle registration plate Grille Tire Wheel Car

·
Registered
2005 E320 wagon
2,597 Posts
TYC? It looks like a bi-xenon setup with a single bulb with movable shield for high and low in the projector, and a separate halogen high beam in the inner lamp.

Sixto
05 E320 wagon 190K miles

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
31 Posts
TYC? It looks like a bi-xenon setup with a single bulb with movable shield for high and low in the projector, and a separate halogen high beam in the inner lamp.

Sixto
05 E320 wagon 190K miles
Its not bi xenon its regular halogen. I found a site with the projector lens i can get im gonna just upgrade it to the bi-xenon or xenon lens and get all the components for it. Its 3" projector lens just incase anyone else in the future wants to do the same. I hate the current projectors as i cant see properly it looks stupid and ill have rims and stuff on the car soon. I cant have ugly headlights lol.

Hopefully i can get everything for under $250
Ill post a thread on it with pics or video i upload to my channel when i do it. It will be soon.

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes CLK320 2008 Mercedes E550
269 Posts
The easiest way to clear up those foggy lenses is to wet sand them with 1500 then 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. When all of the yellow is gone, rinse them off and let them dry in the sun.

Then, have urethane clear applied to the lenses and they will look better than new. The won't look yellow again either.

We used to do that on Volvo and Mercedes vehicles that had foggy headlights, but the plastic was still good. Lots of Mercedes end up getting new headlights because the wiring inside degrades, so we did 10 Volvos to every 1 Mercedes.

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
31 Posts
The easiest way to clear up those foggy lenses is to wet sand them with 1500 then 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. When all of the yellow is gone, rinse them off and let them dry in the sun.

Then, have urethane clear applied to the lenses and they will look better than new. The won't look yellow again either.

We used to do that on Volvo and Mercedes vehicles that had foggy headlights, but the plastic was still good. Lots of Mercedes end up getting new headlights because the wiring inside degrades, so we did 10 Volvos to every 1 Mercedes.
My apologies i meant the projector lens is what is no good. The actual lens cover is perfectly fine. The lights are new. Its just the projector itself shines horribly, whatever Chinese company made them did a horrible job thats why im replacing the projector lens itself and will just upgrade it to xenon.

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
31 Posts

Sixto
05 E320 wagon 190K miles
And yes I believe it was TYC that brand is trash to me now as far as headlight projectors go. Lol they shine so oddly and horrible i must take a pic to show you guys what im saying. Its embarrassing to drive a mercedes with such ugly light pattern and a blind spot. Lol

·
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, 2005 E320 CDI, and 2006 S500 4Matic
7,020 Posts
You will need Hella E55 bolt pattern projectors.

Our E320 CDI also came with halogens. Since I was taking them apart anyway, I also did an HID (bi-xenon) upgrade while I was at it. I used the following components.

• Morimoto EVOX-2.0 (Hella E55 bolt pattern) bi-xenon projectors
  • Hella Gen 3 HID ballasts
  • Osram XenArc 66240 HID bulbs

After that, all you need to do is program the car for “XENON: PRESENT”, and you’re all done.

The performance of the headlamps is stellar. I love ‘em.

Reactions: The young legend

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
31 Posts

Our E320 CDI also came with halogens. Since I was taking them apart anyway, I also did an HID (bi-xenon) upgrade while I was at it. I used the following components.

After that, all you need to do is program the car for “XENON: PRESENT”, and you’re all done.

Ok, so the projector lens themselves are 3" correct? And as far as the ballast and all that i can get the correct kit with the wireless and everything, Ballast also from morimoto? I also want to put demon eyes and the honeycomb etching on the lens. Thats why i just want to make sure if i order a different projector that i can still get the harness and ballast from Morimoto.

On Thier website they have an upgraded 5.0 version that is brighter and better. I was thinking of getting that and i saw they had the option to have the demon eye slot on them.

Another question would be what about the halogen high beam. I was thinking i could order another set of blank projectors that could be eched with a demon or snake eye on them and put it in place of the original halogen high beams and just use it only for the demon eye? But my main question about it is how do i prevent the halogen high beam from cutting on with the bi-xenon? Does the car once you program it to recognize the bi xenon automatically not cut them on?

And thanks in advance. I want to make sure i can spurce a good priced projector set amd get the harnesses and ballast from morimoto. That way i can get what i really want and keep the price down. Im spending a hell of a lot of money. I worked 4 months and saved and blowing on this car lol. Once im done only thing to do is paint it.

·
7,020 Posts
You're thinking of the Mini-D2S 5.0. That's not the right projector because it doesn't have the Hella E55 bolt pattern. The correct projector for the W211 is the EVOX-R 2.0. Trust me on this; I speak from experience. And yes, the EVOX-R 2.0's kick some serious gas.

The halogen high-beams are in a separate mirror and powered by a separate circuit, so no worries about both coming on until you actually hit the high beams. When you do, then yes, both the bi-xenon solenoid and the halogen high-beam will activate, and this is by design. I wouldn't try to fight that; there's no good reason to.

You can get the ballast from Morimoto, but I would recommend even more the Hella Gen 3 ballast from hidprojectors.com. That's an actual OEM ballast for several manufacturers, and they bring the bulb up to proper color faster than the Morimoto ballasts do. The Morimoto ballasts are basically like the Hylux 2A88's, made in China, and they do work, but I'd prefer German-made quality for about the same price.

If you want the demon or angel eyes, though, go right ahead. I don't use them because I prefer the stock appearance, but some people do like to get a bit fancier. Just do the wiring right.

·
Registered
Your mom
6,475 Posts

If you just used 55w hids instead of 35w there's no programming required.

·
Registered
2000 s500 w220
31 Posts
You're thinking of the Mini-D2S 5.0. That's not the right projector because it doesn't have the Hella E55 bolt pattern. The correct projector for the W211 is the EVOX-R 2.0. Trust me on this; I speak from experience. And yes, the EVOX-R 2.0's kick some serious gas.

The halogen high-beams are in a separate mirror and powered by a separate circuit, so no worries about both coming on until you actually hit the high beams. When you do, then yes, both the bi-xenon solenoid and the halogen high-beam will activate, and this is by design. I wouldn't try to fight that; there's no good reason to.

You can get the ballast from Morimoto, but I would recommend even more the Hella Gen 3 ballast from hidprojectors.com. That's an actual OEM ballast for several manufacturers, and they bring the bulb up to proper color faster than the Morimoto ballasts do. The Morimoto ballasts are basically like the Hylux 2A88's, made in China, and they do work, but I'd prefer German-made quality for about the same price.

If you want the demon or angel eyes, though, go right ahead. I don't use them because I prefer the stock appearance, but some people do like to get a bit fancier. Just do the wiring right.
Ok thanks also i was curious about the morimoto because the mini d2s looked like it came with the plug that fits the bixenon on to the projector from the halogen high beam. I contacted the retrofitsource people they said a certified projector would be straight bolt up and when i checked it it was the same as the d2s on the morimoto website.

So basically the high beams from the halogen would plug into the plug on the bixenon projector and the halogen high beams would not cut on from what i gathered. And so i was thinking i could pit the current projector that im taking out to replace with the xenon in the place of the halogen high-beams and install the demon eye on that. And just run the power for it to a separate marine battery id put in the trunk. That way i could power it independently from the car itself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts