Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the xenon option on my slk. it seems after i wash the car or in early morning dew there is moisture inside the lens. it is causing a haze on the inside.
short of tossing silica packs inside the lens is there a way to dissasemble the lens to clean the glass and seal the lens?
i searched the threads and only found 1 post on removal. it said 4 bolts hold it in but i only see 2 bolts on top. i have the self adjusting headlights.
what i would like to do is remove the headlight clean it and reseal and reinstall as im not a fan of the new style angel eyes lites. i want to keep the factory setup because at nite these lights are awesome! they throw a beam farther than any car i have owned, and the self leveling makes me smile every time i turn them on!:D:p

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 auto, 2006 CLS320 CDi.
420 Posts
to remove you need to remove the indicator first and then there are 2 or 3 bolts you need to undo, I have 3 on mine but not sure now if i really needed to remove all 3. The lense then comes off by taking off all the clips and then the lense just comes away, you may need to apply a bit of force to break the old seal. I used clear bathroom silicon sealant to repair mine and it works well.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
am i correct in thinking that the xenon option is a different bulb and the prism design inside the lens? are there any sealed gases inside the lens?
are all the slk headlights the same just using different bulbs?
how do you remove the side markers do they just pop out? maybe this is a good time to find some clear side markers!

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 auto, 2006 CLS320 CDi.
420 Posts
to remove the indicators you use a screwdriver stuck in the top and move it in towards the middle of the car...look at the link I postedit has the instructions there.

no idea about the gases/bulb differences though sorry.

·
Registered
1998 SLK230 240,xxx Miles
7,704 Posts
How to remove signal light to access 3rd bolt.

When you remove the lens check the condition of the seals, A cleaning & rub with aerospace 303, may be all it needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
leapyfish you rock! perfect instructions the lens came right out. upon inspection the seal between the outer clear lens and headlight assy. was broken and brittle. some cleaning with soap and water add some 303 and a bead of silicone on both sides and repaired!!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right on manic! i got my 5$ sample kit and used the gummi p on my seals with the 303 after. no more squeaks and the rubber seems more supple and the faded color is gone. well worth the price of admission!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
which manual is this? all i can find is the crossfire service manual online which is about 1800 pages
as for the seals the m/b dealer is over 40 miles away and its easier to just seal them up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts